Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just thinking with all the current Pete Rose talk and MacWorld having just ended... if Apple were to have a hall of fame, which would be the h/w or s/w members? Pls justify with facts (comparative if possible): criteria? style, innovation/vision, function, societal impact/trend setting... You know. Let's make sure to include some s/w subs as well. Submit away!

h!

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
The original iMac. Not much to say that you can't already know. It rejuvenated Apple, and created a revolution in the style in the world. You can still find multi-color translucent items like binders everywhere now. And it was dead simple to set up. It changed the world of computing as we know it.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
The Apple Newton,
Which would make a nice re-release for Apple's 20th anniversary.
Perhaps even an iPod cross breed Newton incarnation.
(With removeable and rechargeable batteries) ;)

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Obviously Lisa.

She started it all! (and is therefore more worthy than her nephew Mac 128/Hello).

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I believe the Pismo powerbook ought to have a spot. It's one of the most popular and well-loved powerbooks of the entire line of portable machines from Apple.

As for software, the iLife suite comes to mind. It is just simply the best value for the money as it allows you to do so much with it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The aquisition of NeXT & Steve Jobs :)

OS X has been able to attract numerous types of users. I think OS X has really saved Apple's arse, and allowed them to create beautiful appliations to compliment it.

If we were stuck with a OS 9 architecture still, or BeOS, who knows where Apple would be. Steve Jobs has done a wonderful job of bringing Apple back to life & is an excellent representitive of the company.

Darren

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Re: The Cube,

I can see the little placard by the display now!

"While a brilliant designed, Apple woefully overestimated the consumer response to the Cube and it was a commercial failure."

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
Still offering your positive brilliant enlightening witty and joyful contributions as usual I see.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No software subs? And do not limit yourselves to Apple developped s/w either. Let's look for any hot s/w that runs on a Mac. BTW, we should also open doors to peripherals. They are just as important to Mac functionality. No? That should open us up to a few more. Sub away!

h!

·
Registered
112 Posts
The pismo of course....on the software side how about Graphic Converter, Launchbar, Tomeviewer and my old favourite Finderpop.

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
"While a brilliant designed, Apple woefully......"
how ironic

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Software:
Appleworks - the most undervalued piece of software going.
Hardware:
Apples line of laserwriters. They go forever.

·
Registered
100 Posts
They're not Apple products but they transformed the idea of a computer for me – Wacom's Intuos tablet coupled with Fractal Painter. In fact, if my old PC hadn't been so totally inept at keeping them up and running, I probably never would have bought my first Mac, a Bondi Blue rev. B iMac.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
All the great software that was copied and killed by MS:

First, Jane (pseudo-GUI, ran on Apple II+)

Then all the organisers and to-do list programs (can't remember the names)

Then the precursor to PowerPoint (can't remember the name either, this is getting worrying...)

Then of course MacDraw, the grand-daddy of them all!

Last, but not least: the Chicago and Geneva fonts...

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
My vote would go to the original Mac in the canvas bag, the first iMac and the Cube. All three had the extreme "Wow!!!" factor.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
(Apple) Macintosh SE30

A wildly innovative machine that can be still found serving web pages in the 21st century. 128MB of RAM and an OS that runs inside 10% of that.

(Adobe) PhotoShop and PostScript.

Introduced the computer graphics and desktop publishing revolutions.

(Apple) TrueType fonts.

Simple fonts for Macs and absolutely essential to Microsoft Windows.

(Sony/Phillips) The CD and CD-ROM.

A digital storage revolution; installing MS Word from twenty-some floppies is thankfully only a distant memory.

(AT&T) The telephone, the modem, UNIX.

The 1960's technology that kick-started the 21st century.

(Various religious orders) Beer.

No explanation needed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts