Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People all over the world love to talk about ads. It is a great water cooler conversation topic.

The one I just saw where the Mac user is blown out of his house causing a ton of damage and the tag line is "the fastest, the most powerful" etc etc

It certainly demonstrates metaphorically the power (BTW, a fairly tried...and unfortunately tired form of advertising technique) but what concerns me is the climate that we are in. Lingering 9/11 images everywhere, terrorosm still a big part of the news, here in Toronto way too many gun incidents lately (forget about the 100:1 ratio in the States) and well, showing a computer that seems dangerous seems a little inappropriate.

Yes a lot of ads are meant for recent purchasers (Like most car ads) and certainly this preventative "buyer remorse" type of ad would ....well, could work, I as someone who has worked a bit on the Apple account would question this strategy.

It is also shot differently. Like a soap ad. No soft camera edges like in previous campaigns and the product is not king of the spot.

I will give them credit for using more emotion (pictures of destruction ie Toscani's Benneton ads work well) but isn't there a better way to show product superiority?

Speed and power are not necessarily equal to explosions.

Net/Net...casually viewing the ad as anything but a cultist ...Macs are dangerous???

my 2¢

Thoughts?

Do you like the ad?

Does it bother you?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
Mose, I am glad someone else perceived the 9/11 implications of this ad. A few people who also saw the ad thought that I was being paranoid by this notion of a terrorist attack. However, they also thought that the ad was ineffective, and really did not demonstrate the real power of the G5 PowerMac. This was on par with the Intel "Blue Guys", in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I didn't find anything wrong with it... I found the idea of the sheer power catapaulting the guy out of his house quite amusing.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I found it neither amusing, effective or inappropriate.

This ad on the other hand still makes me chuckle, illustrates its strength clearly, and though could be viewed with far greater concern today, I think it should be viewed in the spirit in which it was made; for fun.

This ad is so damn good I'm STILL dreaming of owning one someday.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
Klaatu, I had forgotten about that PowerMac TV commercial. I always thought that it was one of the better commercials produced by Apple.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Don't take things so seriously guys.If you see 9/11 in this ad then you MUST see Nazi Germany in the original Apple ad right?

·
Premium Member
30,883 Posts
I didn't think it was effective either and it's really annoying since there aren't any G5s around. :mad: but it certainly wasn't 9/11 evocative for me....more like the guy sitting in the armchair with his hair blown back by the loudspeakers....straight lift off that ..not Apple's most sterling effort.

My two favs are 1984 - the best ad ever. Ad of the Century I believe.
And the "weapon" G4 ad was very good - pacing, simple good clean sound. The entire Think Different campaign was outstanding and I'm glad Apple still uses elements of it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have to agree with Mose that the current ad is hackney and lazy.

1984 certainly stands out as a great ad, and I do like "tanks", but the G5 needs to be shown is a better light.

And I think it should be shown as being Enterprise Class

Hmmmm, now that is an image.

The USS Enterprise is an Aircraft Carrier, the stongest naval projection of power... enterprise is also corporate.

How to tie them in?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The images here are about totalitarian states. Whether it be images of Stalin, Hitler, writings of Orwell or Camus or flicks like Clockwork Orange, we, as Mac users, some of us cultists, embraced the empowerment and the visioning of what a personal computer could do for us rather than being lead like sheep.

The main difference in the ad approach is that the G5 ad does not utilize that brand USP. This is the essence of a great ad. The essence of the Apple brand. Empowering the user.

In the case of the G5 ad, say like ads that defend a price positioning - it cannot be defended. There will be a more powerful and faster computer in short order, just like if someone said "We have the cheapest price!" there is always someone cheaper.

Plus, the idea of a Mac actually acting against, not with a user is fundamentally off the mark.

It would be easy to show that type of "awesome" power at the hands of a user, not them being the victim.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Macdoc, I don't think it's that far a cry. Someone could say that the ad offends them or reminds them of a truamatic event and leave it at that, but then someone else decides that other people should feel the same way as they do and be offended as well, so then want the ad banned. Then it becomes a freedom of speech issue. Which has taken a back seat in the post 9-11 world.
I guess I just don't see why a simple ad would evoke those images. I do agree that it's not Apple's best ad.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Sorry, I never quite understood the enthusiasm for the 1984 ad. Visually lush and extravagent-looking? You bet! But I prefer simplicity and humour. That's why this will always be my all-time favorite.

As for the Think Different ads, none of them amuse me as much as this parody

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
sjd, Macdoc is correct when he wonders aloud "Hmmm methinks you'll get a sharp retort from Dr. G on that thesis". I am NOT for any government that would imprison people for their thoughts.

Macdoc, I am not sure if you realize why I came to Canada, based upon what you wrote ("Dr. G is a pacifist but a very strong advocate of human rights. He dislikes violence - even this kind of comic destruction. Has nothing to do with his strength of character - he uprooted himself from his family and country for his beliefs.") Everything is accurate, and I appreciate these glowing comments, other than the "uprooting" idea. Yes, I am a pacifist, and I was granted a Concsientious Objector status back in 1970. However, I came to Canada in 1977 on my own terms, not to elude any draft or government (I voted for Jimmy Carter in 1976). I came to St.John's, NL to teach at the University. The fact that I am still here speaks more about my love of Canada (I became a citizen on July 1, 1997), than about my dislike for the current situation in the US. I am still a US citizen, and I shall remain a dual citizen. Just a point of clarification. Merci.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
sjd, when you write that "...someone else decides that other people should feel the same way as they do and be offended as well, so then want the ad banned. Then it becomes a freedom of speech issue. Which has taken a back seat in the post 9-11 world.", please understand that I am NOT in favor of banning the commercial, or the freedom of thought/expression. I just thought that the commercial was ineffective.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Please accept my apologies, I guess I misunderstood the above posts. It's just that I've noticed that a lot of people have adopted a "stop terrorism at all costs" attitude since the attacks and a lot of those people don't think about what that's going to cost us.
As for the ad, I think it's intended as a metaphor for being "blown away" It's not the worst Apple ad I've seen but It's far from their best.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
sjd, personally, I am against terrorism. However, vigilance in the name of freedom, if it destroys the very freedoms that are supposedly being protected, is no virtue (with apologies to the late Sen. Barry Goldwater for turning around his statement from back in 1964).

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts
Speaking of Mac G5s, might anyone translate the following for me in non-MacMaven terminology?

"The Power Mac G5 comes with three PCI-X slots, giving you the benefit of the newest advance in PCI technology. The PCI-X protocol is perfect for high-performance PCI devices...."

What sort of PCI devices might have their cards in these slots?

·
Registered
433 Posts
9/11?! what is this, CNN? TERROR TERROR TERROR!

i like the departure from the white background slick style ads... this puts the computer in a certain context, right where it should be: in the hands of the user. i thought it was cute.. yeah, not super original, but they do that with computers. cut em' some slack.

Phil

·
Premium Member
30,883 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts