ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can't say they didn't tell you... don't use palm rest covers. (How about keyboard covers?)

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012): Do not use palm rest covers

Apple said:
MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012): Do not use palm rest covers
Products Affected
MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

Symptoms
Leaving palm rest covers or other material on the palm rest surface of your computer could result in damage to the display when you close it.

Resolution
To enable thin design, the clearance between the display and the palm rest area is engineered to tight tolerances. Do not use palm rest covers as the added thickness may interfere with the designed resting position of the display.

As a best practice, keep the palm rest clear of any material.

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
With the case being aluminum, I don't see why anyone would need to protect the palm rest. I can understand painted plastics need protection...

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
carry over from when those surfaces were painted instead of being one piece aluminum.. the older macbook pros would corrode from perspiration.

does the retina mbp not have the black rubber gasket? seems like a thin skin would still work, just not the simulated suede ones, etc.

·
Premium Member
30,834 Posts
Yeah - the aluminum finish on the unibodies is wonderful - even 3 year old original unibody MacBooks from a school clean up perfectly despite stickers covering them.

I've using mine naked and will stick with it tho I'm a bit uncertain how to clean the screen as it is an anti-glare so needs careful handling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts