Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
POETIC JUSTICE.

Steve Jobs wins: Dell to sell itself off, give money back to the shareholders

Michael Dell is in talks to sell his computer company Dell Incorporated to a private equity firm, a move which would allow him and his company’s shareholders to cash out before the declining PC vendor loses any more value. Shares of Dell stock have fallen to around $12, notably the same price at which Apple had fallen to in the mid nineties. Michael Dell was asked at the time what Apple should do, and he infamously responded that his rival should sell everything off and give the money back to the shareholders, implying that Apple had no further value to the world.
(Stableytimes)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Maybe we should also start continually referring to Dell as "beleaguered". :p

·
peek-a-boo
16,426 Posts
and steve jobs isn't around to see it. Though I'm sure he knew well it was coming very soon.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
I think if Steve Jobs was around he'd be more concerned with what's happening to apple's stock than Dell's!!
I would bet you he would care less. Steve has said stock price would take of itself. Just create the products that people love to use.

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
It would be funny if Apple bought Dell, just for *****s and giggles.

·
Premium Member
15,511 Posts
I would bet you he would care less. Steve has said stock price would take of itself. Just create the products that people love to use.

True, but he might have been a bit concerned with the latest APPL stock price drops and the shedding of about $200 billion in market value since peaking at more than $700 a share not too many months ago - if he was still running the show.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
True, but he might have been a bit concerned with the latest APPL stock price drops and the shedding of about $200 billion in market value since peaking at more than $700 a share not too many months ago - if he was still running the show.
Because that stock climbed to that price in less than year it has settled down to probably its true value. That's why there was no concern. If it kept dropping then he would of been concerned but in reality what could they do more? At some point people just don't need new devices every year. I have stopped buying a new phone every year.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Because that stock climbed to that price in less than year it has settled down to probably its true value. That's why there was no concern. If it kept dropping then he would of been concerned but in reality what could they do more? At some point people just don't need new devices every year. I have stopped buying a new phone every year.
I bet he wouldn't be bothered by the stock, but would be going full gear on the products.
ie. the iphone's facing stiffer competition. interesting to hear there may be a 5S by the summer. just a rumour of course, but still...

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
I bet he wouldn't be bothered by the stock, but would be going full gear on the products.
ie. the iphone's facing stiffer competition. interesting to hear there may be a 5S by the summer. just a rumour of course, but still...
And that is different how? There has been a new iPhone every single year. It matters if it is released in July or September?

·
Registered
503 Posts
What I'm seeing now is a strange negative aura around anything apple! anything that they do now, is somehow negatively twisted.. the company is losing it's appeal and more and more bloggers are siding with Google.. Apple is slowly losing the status quo of the company that can do no wrong, and that's why I'd be concerned with the stock today.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
What I'm seeing now is a strange negative aura around anything apple! anything that they do now, is somehow negatively twisted.. the company is losing it's appeal and more and more bloggers are siding with Google.. Apple is slowly losing the status quo of the company that can do no wrong, and that's why I'd be concerned with the stock today.
Well maybe that could be. The release of their own maps and no voice directions on my iphone 4 but google can create something in a few months and have voice directions. WTF? and the cheap black coating on the iPhone 5 which if you go to any apple store and take a look at the phone it looks like crap. I am not going to spend close to $1000 on that. Just hope the 5S is changed or I will have to go with white which may not be a bad idea.

And what is with no new Mac Pro?

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
And that is different how? There has been a new iPhone every single year. It matters if it is released in July or September?
I think it does matter in terms of being interesting. Why release in the summer when you've been doing the fall? People are into a buying or contract cycles from previous versions? Are they rushing to catch up to new devices from other competitions? Something new to the phones maybe?

Maybe they're afraid of what other vendors have so they want to release their new big secret iPhone feature?

or maybe they just want to change the cycle.

I find it interesting.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Samsung's cycle is July I believe, that's all.. They had 2-3 months of sales while people held off buying the 4s waiting for the iphone5. They don't want to be exposed to that anymore. Which to me, makes perfect sense!
Now back to the dell story, I have to say that I'm kinda sad how the world is moving away from computers to tablets.. I really feel my age with that shift and I can only think of my parents watching their beloved typewriter taken down by that toy desktop computer lol.. Not sad for dell though.. They are crap!! Although it was a dell laptop that made me convert to MacBooks,so.. A bit ironic!!

·
Premium Member
30,857 Posts
perhaps you should check their P/E - Wallstreet does it's thing - Apple makes money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts