Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This comment from a Mac User at:

http://www.haxial.com/spls-soapbox/apple-powermac-G5/

"Using publicly available information, I am going to show you how Apple is attempting to deliberately mislead it's loyal customers and fans when it claims that "the Power Mac G5 is the world's Fastest Personal Computer". He quotes the industry sources direct from WWDC and correlates Apples specs and benchmark tests from VeriTest against documented Dell tests as VeriTest ran them "as a CONTRACTOR" for Apple.

This person also posts the rabid ravings of a number of MacHeads. Very disparaging.

Forwarded to me by my IT professional in a major public company.

soapbox

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Um. In the keynote, Steve said "We asked (read: contracted) them to do some independant testing for us".

That pretty much says it all really. It's not like VeriTest would have found out about them early and does the tests totally independantly.

--PB

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think this guy is out to lunch. The G5 is a 64bit processor, which at any rate will run faster than a 32bit. Apple may have rigged the tests, but the G5 will no doubt beat any intel processor by far.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Comon people, as if this wasnt started by a bunch of jelous PC users.
We have a faster machine then them now GET OVER IT!!!

We have this everytime a new product is released, how this benchmark is wrong, or they did this wrong or BLAH BLAH BLAH, suck it up. Their computers, they compute information for us, thats it!

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Yep, it's a broken record
A friend of mine had to phone me the next day to tell me how the Apple specs were rigged and not all a sham.

Why do PC users feel they have to rain on our parade?

If a dual 2gig G5 is twice as fast as a dual 1.42 G4 then it will be blazing fast, how that compares to a dual 3gigXeon rig I cant say for sure, except that it should give it should do very well
and of course everyone fudges reality in their marketing hype, that's the nature of the beast, I used to do it myself in my own business to attract attention.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Interestingly enough, the headline on Apple Canada's site is different from that of its US counterpart. On .ca it reads "the world's first 64-bit personal computer," whereas the latter reads "the world's fastest personal computer."

Either way, the G5 an impressive new chapter in Apple's history...and the finer points about processor speed and benchmarks are lost on most folks, this one included.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
The web site flips between the two statements. The G5 is fast. How fast? We'll see in August but Apple is unlikely to have set themselves up for a fall on this. Soour grapes. Too bad. Move on. Let them eat Longhorn sheep.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
PGant wrote:
Interestingly enough, the headline on Apple Canada's site is different from that of its US counterpart...
I took a look at this little anomaly. I looks as if the Apple.com sight has flying letters, like java or something like that, first the 'fastest computer' then the '64-bit' seems that .com gets both. The .ca site is just static, no loop, no java.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,502 Posts
mmmmmmmmmmm "Longhorn sheep". Is this the free-range mutton, or the stuff that have been locked behind "Gates" all their lives? If so, I'll have a fresh garden salad, and my friend, Wintel, shall have an order of sour grapes. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts