Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a looksee in todays Toronto Star @Biz section page D2, the Computer Watch article by Richard Morochove. Someone set this joker straight. :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Can you please provide a link, i have searched their site and cannot find this article you speak of

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Hmm, for those of us outside of the centre of the universe, that is kind of hard... will there be a web version posted?

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
http://www.morochove.com/bio.htm

He's a Chartered Accountant.

Would you expect any less from a dyed in the wool PC user?

puhhhlease.

i have searched the Star site and it looks like they only put the hardcopy stuff online later and get this, they charge a fee for you to download it !!!

I know this is the centre of the universe and all but this is just plain nuts !

·
Registered
223 Posts
I looked around on Thestar.ca but it doesn't appear to be there. This guy seems like a typical mac-basher. I read some of his archived "Computer Watch" articles on his website (www.morochove.com) and they conveyed the same message. He once wrote something along th

Here's a snippet from his August 26 1999 article:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Apple's iMac, along with the conceptual PC designs of Intel, are pleasing to the eye. But unlike the advances delivered by earlier computer developments, a candy-colored plastic PC won't perform any better, nor will it be any easier to use, than its beige counterpart.

Why is Apple Computer so quick to fire off the legal cannons when some other computer maker adds a bit of color to a PC? Does Apple really believe that colored plastic is so important to its sales efforts that it must defend it from interlopers?

Based upon the two legal actions launched by the company, that certainly appears to be the case. And I find that very sad.

I'm sad because I hate to see a company that was once a leader in computer innovation reduced to defending a few fruity colors to maintain its competitive edge.

When the iMac was first announced, I was astonished to learn that Apple had spent a considerable amount of its not-unlimited research budget on testing tinted plastics for the new computer. That's research and development money that can't now be spent on real computer innovations, such as better performing hardware and a better MacOS. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In today's article he points to the number of patents filed by Apple (99 vs. Microsoft's 397) as evidence that Apple has moved from inovators to imitators. For instance, Apple has now copied Microsoft's task bar (please!).

Basically, this guy is a consultant who has a number of clients that have expressed interest in Apple (he mentions the switch campaign) [Note: this is my hypothesis], he knows nothing about the system so he cites a few irrelevent stats and casual observations about the GUI and draws an uninformed conclusion.

Wow, conflict of interest in the Canadian media. Can't say I'm surprised, but this is just bad journalism above all else.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I believe Morochove's column is syndicated. That's probably why it's not available online -- each paper has an "exclusive" in its market, and readers can only get it that way.

I haven't read today's column (no Star in my house, either) but I think it's silly to measure innovation based on patents. (On the other hand, if Apple has less than 10% of the market, 99 patents (vs. 397 for MS) is pretty impressive.)

I think it's quite reasonable to say that the Dock resembles the Windows Taskbar. In fact, that's what most Windows users notice first when they see my Mac desktop. "I like your taskbar!" It's deliberate bait for Switchers, as far as I'm concerned.

Mac users accused Microsoft of "stealing" the look and feel of the Mac OS for Windows 95 (e.g. Trash can recycled as Recycle Bin). Now that MS and Apple have buried the hatchet and become fast friends ;) , I think it's okay to admit that some elements of the OS X interface are "Windows-like."

SMc

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
He looks like a d*ckhead...

I couldn't see him as a Mac User anyway. He just doesn't look smart enough to know quality.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Can be described simply as one wonderful word, something to do with a bull and the excretment...
I think hes a proverbial ostrich with his head stuck in the sand... and he thinks that he knows all... ummm your evidence may have convinced you, but not anybody that even remotely questions the validity of what they read....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well where the hell do you think Apple got the idea for a customizable, resizing, repositionable taskbar??

It's moronic statements from uninformed idiots that make PC users laugh at Mac users. The fact that Apple dumps the kind of finacial resources into the design of their computer cases, I'm refering to plastic color testing and such, that makes people think they are just really concerned about the finer details of their systems. Pretty funny.

If Apple is so good at designing systems and puts so much thought and money into them how come they still can't design a desktop systems that dosen't sound like an F-15??

The G4 cases, while nice to look at, are one of the worst designed cases for cooling ever made. And the damn things weigh somewhere in the area of 300lbs. That's customer consideration.

Alienware and other highend system builders use aluminum cases with a high flow-thru cooling design, but then again these are a higher quality systems... right? :D

Ever wonder why Apple stock has always been an under performer? It's kind of obvious.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
kudos to spanish joe !

couldn't have said it better myself.

sever,

take the blue pill

today is a blue pill day

one blue pill only please

the leader thanks you.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Maybe he doesn't realize (or know) that MS copied their "taskbar" from the NeXTStep Dock which is the grandfather of OS X.

So basically we are still using what we've always had, just under a different name. We didn't copy from them, although in some cases there are nice features in Windows.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sever:
Well where the hell do you think Apple got the idea for a customizable, resizing, repositionable taskbar??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's an updated dock from NeXTStep. You know, that Operating System that Steve Jobs and co. wrote back in 1990? When did Windows 95 comeout again? Hmmm...
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
It's moronic statements from uninformed idiots that make PC users laugh at Mac users.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, it's the gross ignorance of the computing world outside of Microsoft that makes PC users laugh at Mac users.
The fact that Apple dumps the kind of finacial resources into the design of their computer cases, I'm refering to plastic color testing and such, that makes people think they are just really concerned about the finer details of their systems. Pretty funny.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
OMG, are you that 16-year old punk that runs that I Hate Macs website? ;) That web site was pretty funny. Grossly innacurate and filled with half-truths, but pretty funny.
The G4 cases, while nice to look at, are one of the worst designed cases for cooling ever made. And the damn things weigh somewhere in the area of 300lbs. That's customer consideration.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, my gf and I want to build a PC. Can you please direct me to a case that has the motherboard mounted on a side door so I can open the case up easily and have access to everything? I haven't been able to find one. Apple's case may be loud, I'll give you that, but it's not that heavy (I have a QS), and is very rugged, and is most easily accessible case I've ever seen.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
hayesk wrote:
Can you please direct me to a case that has the motherboard mounted on a side door so I can open the case up easily and have access to everything?

Dell offers a number of systems, all of which have cases that are incredibly accessible.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sever:

If Apple is so good at designing systems and puts so much thought and money into them how come they still can't design a desktop systems that dosen't sound like an F-15??

The G4 cases, while nice to look at, are one of the worst designed cases for cooling ever made.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The current G4 systems are actually really well designed for cooling, and they may sound loud right now, but find a dual processor PC to have a listen to and I am sure you'll change your mind.

We have a DP1000 set up at work, and an Athlon MP 2000+. The DP1000 may be a little loud, but you can;t hear it over the ambient noise in our busy little department. The Athlon MP 2000+ can very easily be heard over the noise though, because it has seven fans. The G4 is able to get the same amount of cooling done with just 3 fans.

--PB

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
There have been a number of Far-East based case manufacturers who offer G4-like cases; I was researching this over a year ago and they were available from the usual distributors. Unfortunately I don't have a name or link for you any longer.

For an idea of how the German firm chieftec approaches it, check out the link:
ChiefTec cases

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
PosterBoy wrote:
The current G4 systems are actually really well designed for cooling, and they may sound loud right now, but find a dual processor PC to have a listen to and I am sure you'll change your mind.

I've got a dual PIII 733 workstation here that's roughly as loud as the WindTunnel we've got down the hall. A coworker has a dual Xeon 2.4GHz, though, and it's whisper quiet (you have to put your head next to it to actually hear it).

The Athlon MP 2000+ can very easily be heard over the noise though, because it has seven fans. The G4 is able to get the same amount of cooling done with just 3 fans.

Althon processors are notorious for the amount of heat they generate (even when they're not under any significant load), so I'm not sure it's fair to say the G4 case gets the same amount of cooling done.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jfpoole:
PosterBoy wrote:
The Athlon MP 2000+ can very easily be heard over the noise though, because it has seven fans. The G4 is able to get the same amount of cooling done with just 3 fans.

Althon processors are notorious for the amount of heat they generate (even when they're not under any significant load), so I'm not sure it's fair to say the G4 case gets the same amount of cooling done.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really don't think this makes any sense... 7 fans don't get as much cooling done as 3 fans? Well, of course not. however, the volume of those fans are still quite a bit louder, add on the fact the PC in question NEEDS 7 FRICKIN' FANS!?!? to keep the machine operating?

For the love of pete's sake! That's nuts!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts