Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my iBook 800 ice in for service back in October, just before the warranty ended. I thought that it might need a new logic board, but the service people said that it "only" needed a new HD and battery.

For the past month or so, the iBook has been refusing to wake up without rebooting, having system hangs etc. On Thursday, the video died and the machine refused to boot. I of course took it back to the service people. "oh" he says, "it looks like the logic board is shot".

The book is now, of course, 45 days out of warranty.

So, I called Apple. And darned, if it did not happen to show on their database that the logic board had been ordered for the original repair, but not shipped.

Apple has authorized all repairs, as if under warranty.

Good for Apple!

(mind you, this is the first time I have ever needed a repair in the first year of owning a machine, and the first time a major repair has been needed...)

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Don't they extend the warranty a certain amount of time after any work has be done, as long as the first repair was under Applecare?

·
Registered
661 Posts
I don't think they ever extend warranties, so that's good news that they helped you out there.
I remember when I had my G3 AV tower, the AV inputs weren't working and it was in for about a month. They replaced the logic board and everything but it still didn't work. Once I upgraded to OS 8.5, maybe 8.6 (yes, it's an old story...) they magically started working again. But then I asked if my warranty would be extended since it was, at the time, in the shop for longer than I had it, and they said no. Sure enough, when the hard drive died at 12.1 months, it was my problem.

·
Registered
933 Posts
In my experience, if a problem has been identified while the machine is under warranty then Apple will honor a repair that is related (directly) to that problem after the warranty expires (within reason). If you've had the machine officially inspected at a dealer while under warranty, so much the better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts