Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just doing some home work on what it would cost for me to upgrade to Sonnets 1.2Ghz vs. getting the low end single 1.25Ghz from Apple. I took the specs from Apple and matched them up using Macwarehouse's publication book. Apple's machine with tax $2068.85 without shipping. My system with the same specs with taxes and me doing the installation $2207.97. A difference of $139.00 that inlcudes memory prices which could bring my system down a bit in price for upgrade.

Then I decided to check out the low end G5 that costs $2799.00 from Apple. Looks like an awesome system the 1.6Ghz so I wanted to see what an iMac was priced at. I looked at the mid iMac 1Ghz, superdrive and I was shocked to see the price at $2799.00. I mean you're getting nothing compared to the G5 for the same price minus the monitor. I wonder if Apple will lower the prices on the iMacs once the G5's get rolling? Any comments? I was also surprised to see that I was able to come close to matching Apple's price on the low end 1.25Ghz vs my upgrade.

·
Registered
503 Posts
It doesn't have anything to do with the exchange rate. Apple always inflates the price of their current line which is why the G4s are the best deal of the summer.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I feel you U_L, but I would also be quick to add the following: the G4 iMac has that je ne sais quoi, which I might try to qualify as styling. The iMac as you saw it (SuperDr + 1Ghz) is a hot computer with even hotter styling (bone white w/ a chrome shaft?). Anyone getting an iMac is not looking for only power - they'll get a PowerMac for that. They also want some *bling bling* so that when the guest(s) come in, they're like "whoa... wow... I've never seen of of these this close." Yep. Just like how BlueT helps PB owners click away during a present with a BlueT phone... that Splash Index! I'm in... :D

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Errr... the iMac also has a 17" wide aspect lcd screen. There isn't an equivalent LCD as a separate from Apple but there is a squarer 17" for $1099.

The G4s are clear-outs and are the best VFM if you still want a headless desktop and can't wait for the G5s. Personally, like Dr.G., I'd wait......

·
Canadian By Choice
117,400 Posts
NEWSFLASH!!!!! jwoodget proposes waiting!!!!!!! Procrastinators of the world unite, for you have nothing to lose but your fence.

Actually, jwoodget, you make sense. I have been spending the past few days trying to talk a collegue I know in the Physics department back into the Mac-fold. I think I have convinced him into buying a 2GHz G5..............along with yours truly. If I pay the tax on the system and the monitor, I can squeeze the G5 2GHz and a 20" display into my research money. Even though it is my money, that I worked for, I cannot sell the system that is finally purchased, since this was untaxed money. Thus, whatever I buy must have longevity. I have a feeling that from what others have written, the 2GHz has both a better value and a longer lifespan over the 1.6 and 1.8. I have until Friday to finalize my decision, although they have no problem with me waiting. However, now I don't want to wait in making my decision, since I cannot see a revamped G5 before they even release the original model.

Still, as Heart reports, the G6 is behind schedule, so one never can tell. :D

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
There's nothing strange about Apple Canada's pricing. Whenever a product is released, the price is set based on the current exchange rate and stays that way until Apple USA issues a price drop, or updates the model.

When the iMac came out, the Canadian dollar was low. When the G5 came out, it was high. If the G5 came out a year ago, it would probably have cost $2999 or maybe even $3099. That is also why the PowerBook G4 12" saw a huge price drop in Canada ($700) last month. It wasn't near that amount in the US.

The pricing is pretty simple. It just sucks sometimes when the Canadian dollar gets better but the price doesn't. Of course, that works both ways too.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Newsflash.... you mean you still haven't ordered that G5 Dr. G? There is procrastination and then there is Chinese water torture.....

Methinks I will have to start another poster strike as it appears I've been mislead. :(

·
Canadian By Choice
117,400 Posts
jwoodget, the computer is ordered, but I have until Friday, July 4th to sign the release of the funds from my grant. They are so backed up with orders from faculty, staff and students, that they will not get to my order until Friday.

As I have written, I am leaning towards the 2GHz G5 Mac. Thus, no procrastination on my part, just the summer holiday schedule. Since my G5 will not be shipped until late August/early Sept. due to Apple's own schedule, all of the G5 orders are taking a back seat this week here at MUN.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Calling all EhMac members in the Eastern Provinces (including any doxies reading this). Please kidnap Dr. G. and deny him communication with the outside world (well, the purchasing dept at MUN) until midnight on July 4th.

He's easy to spot as he is the humanoid being dragged around St. Johns by a pack of doxies. Please don't hurt him but remember to wear earplugs as he has the gift of the gab and has been known to talk himself out of many a tight sitation.

It's for his own good.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,400 Posts
jwoodget, I shall need to put my "John Hancock" upon the purchase order allowing for the release of funds. I shall stick with my original order of the 1.8, unless they allow me to pay the taxes on the system and 20" display on my personal Visa, in which case I shall order the 2GHz G5. Either way, the "fix is in". So, "round up the usual suspects", but comes the Fall, hopefully by at least my birthday (Oct. 7th), I shall be communicating with you all on a new Mac.

By then, doxie #3 shall be quite at home and settled, so I shall have some time to learn OS X and this new computer. I shall grow into it in the years to come I'm sure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My advice is to take that MacWarehouse catalogue, roll it up nice and tight, tie it with a little bow, then toss it into the nearest bast furnace.

I was just looking at one today; they had a 12" Powerbook (with Superdrive) going for $3209, while it's 2,549 over at the Apple Store. The prices for stuff like iBooks aren't quite as shocking, but they're still way higher than at the Apple Store. The 1ghz G4 Powermac (w/combo) is $2349 at Mac Warehouse, but online it's $1799.

I say, be very careful about finding prices. I also think there's nothing wrong with getting used stuff. Whenever new updates come out, the previous generations go for way cheaper. They were cutting-edge just a couple of weeks ago!

And Powerbook updates are rumored to be in the pipeline .... :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts