Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple Canada needs to get their crap in gear with the website. It takes them days if not weeks to update it when new products come out, and don't even get me started on the piss poor Apple Canada Store arrangement. How many weeks or months will it take for them to put up the Belkin Voice Recorder or Digital Media Recorder for the iPod? Hopefully before Christmas. I mean what the heck is going on at Apple Canada?

News stories on the site might be updated once a month with the latest news. It takes too long for the Apple store to update with new products. We are just across the border, is Cupertino telling us when and how to update? Or is Apple Canada just too damn freaking lazy and couldn't care?

Hell hire me and I will make sure the site is not only updated via the store but also the front page and the news page. I think Apple Canada's site is pathetic and needs to be taken care of in a more serious manner.

I don't want to order my iPod accessories from the US Apple Store, but I will if Apple Canada is just going to sit on their ass and not care. :mad:

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The Apple store actually does update but if the product is not yet available in Canada they cannot have the product listed on the website. They usually get over the glut at Apple.com then they gradually get things over here. Also, Belkin can't produce enough of those things anywho..

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have a feeling that Apple Canada makes their decisions based on perceived demand.

There are a great many products on the US store that have never made it to the Canada store.

The US store will only ship to a US address. So, you might have to look for a different supplier if they don't put it on their site soon.

Urban Legend - Case in Point. For the last two weeks, I've been watching for the Canada store to list Adobe CS. Nothing so far. I'm sure they'll eventually get around to it. These products will definitely sell.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Adobe CS.. again.. should be there on the site, but perhaps it is not yet annouced specifically in Canada.. maye the pricing scale is not yet decided for our great professional market...

Cheers,

RtC

P.S. I do agree the site should be updated a little faster, but there has to be reasons behind it....

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don't want to order my iPod accessories from the US Apple Store, but I will if Apple Canada is just going to sit on their ass and not care.
Wouldn't it be nice if we had the choice... alas we Canadians do not. If you read the legaleaze on the US sight, sales are only available to US residents :(

Otherwise, I would have taken advantage of all the great "Special Deals" on the site, which is nowhere to be found on the Canadian version.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I feel your pain Urban_Legend!

I went to order an iPod and Voice Recorder yesterday... whaaaaaahhhh they don't have the Voice recorders or Griffin iTrips!

:(

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The iTrip.. is suppose to be shipping.. but they are hardly around at all in Canada.. I've seen a few around..

The Voice recorder.. I doubt we shall see them for at least a week or two..

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
470 Posts
mr. mayor - that's a good point. They might not be able to stock enough for their international demand.

It's too bad that Apple doesn't equate the US and Canada stores. After all, they ship from the same warehouse in California

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Hell hire me and I will make sure the site is not only updated via the store but also the front page and the news page. I think Apple Canada's site is pathetic and needs to be taken care of in a more serious manner.
I completely agree. There is no reasonable reason for the Canadian site to lag so far behind the US site. Even if items are not yet available, they should at least be listed. Hell, it would not be the first time Apple has listed products that are not yet available. Look at how long they were selling G5s before any of them were actually shipping. :rolleyes: :mad:

While I love my Mac...Apple pisses me off too...frequently...with its Canadians-are-second-class-Mac-users attitude.

What ever happened to free-trade???

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mr. Mayor,

I will agree with you on that. However, with NAFTA in place between both countries, there is no reason why Canada should be thought of as a 3rd world nation when it comes to trading goods. How many times has it crossed everyones minds that it would be just easier to drive to Buffalo or Seattle,if you live on the West Coast and pick up the Mac or accessories you want without hoping or waiting for ever?

Why should we have to wait for products like Adobe CS? Do we not in Canada use Adobe products? I'm sure there are tons in Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver to name a few who would love to buy Adobe CS products. How many Canadians bought a 3G iPod that can be used with the Belkin latest accessories? I bet you thousands. Oh but wait, we may never have access to buying those products from Apple Canada. It doesn't make sense to me at all.

I think Free Trade only exists in our imaginations when it comes to trading with the US, and I don't speak of just Apple.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry to say, but as far as I can tell, the "Canadian" Apple Store is run from Cupertino.

I spent a week at Apple Canada in Markham last month and the place was full of empty cubicles. The staffing levels are a fraction of what they used to be.

It is amazing what technology facilitates.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I have been thinking about this all day and here is what I'm gong to do.

Since it would be a waste of my time contacting Apple Canada or Cupertino on why certain items are not available to Canadians on Apple's Canada site, I have decided to contact Adobe and Belkin themselves and see what they have to say. Perhaps there is a valid reason, but my guess is that these companies and many more don't know about what is really going on at Apple Canada's site. I want to know what the reason is, and what they are willing to do.

I believe these companies should be made aware of what products actually make it on what Apple site pages. However, if there is a valid reason, then at least I will know the truth.

I encourage anyone else who feels the same to contact the companies and make them aware that you would like to see their products on Apple Canada's site.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Here's an idea.
Support your local retailers and buy from them insstead, then you dont have to worry about what apple has on their site.
After all, Resellers get screwed by Apple more than Customers do

·
Registered
470 Posts
U_L - that's a great idea!

I bet Gretag-Macbeth isn't aware that their latest products have been on the US site for months, and still aren't on the Canadian site.

I could go on and on. Just compare Epson and HP product offerings on the US vs Canadian sites.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The products being available in Canada or not has absolutely nothing to do with Apple..

The availabilites fo these products are dependant on their Canadian distributors.. Belkin.. I don't know who distributes them if they do it right from the USA.. but I know that several of the Mac related products are shipped thru EMJ and such...

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Apple products are distributed through EMJ, Ingram Micro and to some extent Synnex (and probably one or two others) and are easier to get your hands on than most of the accessories because most of the accessories come though different channels. MacAlly for example ships through EMJ, while Belkin ships through Ingram (and I think EMJ as well).

We here in Canada are not by any stretch "second class citizens", but you also have to appreciate that are not the primary market for most of these companies. In fact if I were running a tech company I would worry about getting things to the US first too because the market down there is roughly ten times the size of the market up here. How can you blame them for taking an extra few weeks to fill up Canadian distribution channels when the much larger US ones are being emptied like there's no tomorrow?

That said, I don't like it either. But at least you can rest comfortably that neither Apple nor any of its partner companies (ie Belkin) are out to screw you just because you are Canadian, or rather not American.

--PB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts