Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Honourable James Moore, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages, announced that Apple Canada has been granted approval under the Investment Canada Act to establish iBookstore Canada.

Apple has already had the iBookstore available in Canada, although only in a very limited version with just a sparse sampling of US titles and public domain pieces. With the announcement, we should be seeing many more titles coming.

Thus far, there have been many complaints in the iTunes App Store comments lamenting the lack of a version of the iBookstore in French.

"Our Government is committed to strengthening Canada's economy through all its sectors, especially arts and culture," said Minister Moore. "Apple has demonstrated how iBookstore Canada represents new opportunities for Canadian authors and publishers, and I have determined that this investment will be of net benefit to Canada."

This decision is based on commitments made by Apple Canada, which include:

• Promotion of Canadian-authored books--both French- and English-language titles--in iBookstore in Canada and other iBookstores internationally;
  • Increased opportunities for Canadian publishers and authors, including new and independent writers;
  • Increased access to titles from Aboriginal authors and publishers;
  • Assistance to Canadian publishers in streamlining processes of e-book creation and enhancement; and
  • Jobs for Canadians and improved services for Canadian consumers, including an iBookstore tailored to Canadian readers.

The Government of Canada ordered a review to determine if the investment by Apple Canada would be of net benefit to Canada. Under the Investment Canada Act, all reviews and approvals of investments in the cultural sector are the responsibility of the Minister of Canadian Heritage.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
With amazon you can read on every device iphone,ipad,pc,mac,kindle,android,etc) and you can move between all devices with no extra cost I think it may be a lost cause now. If amazon didn't have an app on the iphone and ipad, then I would be more :love2: with this news but just makes me :yawn:

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not too familiar with Amazon and Kindle, but do they have all their content available for sale in Canada? If so, did they have to get special approval from the Canadian Government to sell the content?

Kind of curious why Apple had to get special approval for the iBookstore.

I sent an email and got the following reply,

"Apple Canada, Inc. established a new business (iBookstore Canada). All non-Canadians establishing new businesses in Canada must notify the Government under the Investment Canada Act. Establishments of cultural businesses, such as booksellers, may be reviewed for net benefit to Canada. As part of the review process, Apple Canada Inc. committed to promote Canadian-authored books, and increase opportunities for French- and English-language Canadian publishers and authors, and increase access to titles from Aboriginal authors and publishers.

Service des relations avec les médias | Media Relations Service
Direction générale des communications | Communications Branch
Ministère du Patrimoine canadien | Department of Canadian Heritage
Gatineau, Québec CANADA K1A 0M5
[email protected]
Téléphone | Telephone 819 994-9101
Sans frais | Toll-Free 1 866 569-6155 (au Canada seulement | In Canada Only)
Télécopieur | Facsimile 819 994-1444
Téléimprimeur (sans frais) 1 888 997-3123 | Teletypewriter (toll-free) 1 888 997-3123
Gouvernement du Canada | Government of Canada "

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
I don't know if Amazon had all their content but I never had someone complain they didn't have a book. So more content and the real value is access to all your books across all platforms. No matter what device you use on what platform you open an Amazon app or go online your books are there for you to read.

You can download the Amazon app for free and check on your iPhone or iPad.

G

·
Yep the full Kindle content is available in both the US and Canada and at the same pricing (they just direct you to amazon.com and charge in USD). One thing I don't like about the Kindle books is that you don't actually get any "files" that you can backup ... they are "delivered" to all your apps and devices meaning you have to have them online in order to get new content. Up until recently you could only have a book "checked out" on one device at a time, but I think they have changed that as I no longer have to download a new copy of the book when I change devices as I once did -- that was a royal pain.

Amazon is cheaper, has a much larger selection and is readable on just about anything. It's a shame because the iBooks reading experience, at least on iPhones and iPads is much better (I'm not a fan of their reader app). If Apple can get decent content and get their pricing together on the Canada iBookstore I'll be happy. Something I'm doubtful of is the pricing though, right now for popular books it's considerably more on the iBookstore than amazon for most titles .. and by considerable I'm talking up to 50% or more price increase on the iBookstore.

Also with the advent of the new Google books store as well maybe the pricing from iBooks in Canada will finally be competitive. I really detest having to pay a 50% premium (over paperback editions) to get an electronic copy of a book! I mean there's no supply chain, delivery, or any other associated costs aside from the actual delivery of the bits ... and with a typical book being < 1MB that hard cost should be almost literally nothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts