Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 years ago I started to develop swelling and pain in my right wrist(left handed, so what you're thinking right now is not it). I attributed it to some furniture I had assembled over the weekend. Over a period of three years I made many trips to doctors to try to establish the course of action to no avail. Best any of them could do was ligament stretch or perhaps arthritis. It would always be there but would come and go as far as levels of discomfort. Entrophen worked OK so I went on with life with a constant but managable discomfort. About six months ago my right shoulder began to show similar discomfort.
5 Months ago I switched to Mac and continued using my mouse from my PC Notebook. 2 button, scroll, one of about 4 over the period.
2 Months ago I bought the Apple BT Mouse. One week later, a complete absense of any wrist or shoulder pain. Not being to bright, I didn't put 2+2 together but was happy and felt I was finally healing.
Over the weekend I had to do a complete format and install on our home PC. Worked for about 5 hours installing, downloading, setting up etc. My wrist and shoulder were in agony. 2+2=4. The mouse position is the same on the desk for both. Sitting position, the same, utilise the same monitor ETC.
Back on my Mac and BT Mouse and no pain.
That's my little story for the day.
Apple healed me! Halelulia!!!
:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Spencer,
I really like the mouse. If you currently use an Apple mouse "you" will love it.
Took some getting used to as I was a scroll mouse user. I learned the keyboard short cuts and now I think I'm actually quite a bit more efficient on the computer.
The only issue I have is that the low battery indicater in bluetooth starts to flash with about 1/3 battery left. It can be annoying. I think Apple will eventually fix this.
Overall, it is fantastic. Turns off and is easily portable. It has (of course) no USB dongle like other wireless and is actually very accurate in comparison to anything I have had in the past.
Price- expensive. Value - Good. Functionality- Very Good
Cool Factor - Very High, Battery Life - Good. Install - Apple(my 3 year old could have done it)

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Wow - Petie - you and I have almost the same system! Glad someone besides me loves the comfort of the Apple BT mouse. I've used trackballs and explorers but this is the best. And so convenient. I do lots of photo editing in Photoshop Elements, and lots of web surfing.
My first set of batteries lasted about 2 months.
I've actually played a lot of Halo using this mouse, although I prefer the MS explorer because of grenades.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
The muscles used to click the current Apple mouse are very different than earlier versions due to a different hinge position. Personally I can't stand it - I find it awkward.

If I use one of the earlier Apple square mice for even 10 minutes I get incredible pain as well from years of RSI.

I'm really careful to use a gel wrist rest with any mouse or trackball, wireless makes for less resistance in moving and a more natural motion and a consistent surface like the 3m pad helps too.

Getting an Explorer wireless on the PC might also make that manageable. It's hard to beleive how much tension is translated into neck and shoulders by bad input devices.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Elmer,
I actually noticed the similarities of our systems before. I have AE but didn't list it in my Sig.
For me, being sales and marketing. I have found I have no need for a two button scroll. I heavily use iLife apps for personal and Office for business. I too also use Elements (wait a second, were we separated at birth) and do alot of surfing.
I don't think alot of switchers or even newer Mac users realise how efficient keystrokes are. It completely amazes me how fast I can get around with the keyboard and mouse. It also tends to force better posture because you use both hands to navigate.
As I said when I started off this Topic, it has literally healed me. If I was to pinpoint the exact problem, I think it was scrolling.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
you guys should be using your arms to move the mouse around, not the wrist.

try it. it feels way better.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Scrolling as in scroll wheel or holding the mouse button down to scroll?
I suspect the latter - that's what kills me.
The MS Office KB has a BIG left hand scroll wheel that is super - can eliminate mouse scrolling entirely. :D

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually Macdoc, Scrolling with the scroll wheel is what i think it is.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Hmmm I'm surprised as that would show up as tendonitis in your hands rather than arm and shoulder but it's strange how pain and stiffness is referred.
When my hands start to tingle I know I need a break.

I never use the mouse scroll wheel - I always click and hold to scroll - old habits I guess. :D

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Hey MacDoc
'scuse my curiosity, but what input device do you use?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I used a trackball for about a week years ago (sort of like scrolling) and it caused a lot of pain in my wrist after a few days...never had problem with a mouse

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
I've been using a graphics tablet for over a year now. Almost always use the stylus, and it feels great.

When I go onto other computers, using a mouse feels so awkward and clumbsy... I can't believe I used a mouse for so long!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I use a stylus for anything similar to drawing or painting I think a mouse is better for text and general navigation...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts