Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of starting a new thread for every Apple annoucement or update, I thought this thread might help keep users abreast of tech news from Apple without clogging the forum with multiple subjects. Kind of like the Miscellaneous Links thread in Everything Else.

Here is a start:

Apple reportedly announcing iPad Pro with USB-C, MacBook Air successor, and new Mac Mini next week

Apple plans to announce updated iPad Pros with USB-C ports, a 13-inch laptop meant to replace the MacBook Air, and long-awaited updates to the Mac Mini during its event Tuesday morning, according to Bloomberg. Just about all of this has been rumored before, but Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman is usually the definitive name when it comes to nailing exactly what we’ll see on event day, and with a few days to go, we now have those answers.
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...rs-macbook-air-update-ipad-pro-usb-c-mac-mini

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just had time to check out the new Mini, yikes what a price jump!

I bought a brand new Mini in 2015. Of course due to no updates it was one built in 2012. It cost me $699 plus
Applecare. To relace it with a comparable Mini now, the price is $999 plus Applecare, but that only gives me a 128 GB drive. My current model is 500 GB.

A whopping 42% increase. Highway robbery.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
This does not bode well, speaking as a frequent user of the excellent material at iFixit...

Apple confirms its T2 security chip blocks some third-party repairs of new Macs

...the newest MacBook Pro and last year’s iMac Pro, come equipped with Apple’s security-focused T2 chip. The T2 chip, which acts as a co-processor, is the secret to many of Apple’s newest and most advanced features. However, its introduction into more computers and the likelihood that it becomes commonplace in every Mac going forward has renewed concerns that Apple is trying to further lock down its devices from third-party repair services.

The T2 is “a guillotine that [Apple is] holding over” product owners, iFixit CEO Kyle Wiens told The Verge over email. That’s because it’s the key to locking down Mac products by only allowing select replacement parts into the machine when they’ve come from an authorized source — a process that the T2 chip now checks for during post-repair reboot. “It’s very possible the goal is to exert more control over who can perform repairs by limiting access to parts,...”

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Apple makes risky decision to wait until at least 2020 to release a 5G iPhone

In the past, it hasn't been a problem for Apple to wait after its competition releases new phones for the latest networks, but 5G is different

https://vancouversun.com/technology...Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1543862988
But when Apple finally does catch up it will be the best thing ever and quite possibly the best phone they have ever made.

Apple knows how to make money, they will milk the current chips as long as they can, gigabyte LTE sounds great is better. This will help boost their sales for the next model design as it will be a must have feature. Grows tiring to have Apple purposely lag behind with no real reason as to why. A perfect example is the wireless charging on the current phones. They went with the slower older tech rather then the fast wireless charging that has been out a while already. Again will help make the next model the best phone they have ever made.

·
Premium Member
42,495 Posts
With news of the giant hit to Apple stocks today, I think Peter Cook is revealing himself to be the non-visionary technocrat that he always was. No new products, no exciting updates, just looking for more ways to milk the slowly declining interest in iPhones. Gill Amelio reborn.

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
With news of the giant hit to Apple stocks today, I think Peter Cook is revealing himself to be the non-visionary technocrat that he always was. No new products, no exciting updates, just looking for more ways to milk the slowly declining interest in iPhones. Gill Amelio reborn.
Well, considering he died in 1995, and at max could only play a CEO, it is not surprising ;)

Cheers

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems to me that until Apple stops the outright greed and reprices iPhones in the $700 area, they will continue to lose business. My iPhone 8 Plus cost me damn near $1,200 and that is obscene. I will be using it for quite a few years without any upgrade to get my money's worth. ;)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
For the last many years Apple has used upgrades to iOS and the OS to break compatibility between tech forcing users into more upgrades just to maintain communications. My iPhone 6s is a much better devise than my old 4s but it can't talk to my iTunes on my old iMac and now I can no longer use Image Capture to download photos or video. I have no need for a new iMac...

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
For the last many years Apple has used upgrades to iOS and the OS to break compatibility between tech forcing users into more upgrades just to maintain communications. My iPhone 6s is a much better devise than my old 4s but it can't talk to my iTunes on my old iMac and now I can no longer use Image Capture to download photos or video. I have no need for a new iMac...

Unfortunately, just too true, and even more unfortunate that they killed off their expression too many years ago — It just works.

Anyone remember those days and when Macs were also fun to use and one could even personalize them and some applications.

It seems their famous 1984 commercial has unfortunately gone full circle. :mad:

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Interesting article on CNN about Apple and its current state
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/07/tech/apple-tim-cook/index.html

I do agree, Tim Cook is no visionary and that is finally catching up with Apple.

I can only speak for myself but I used to be excited for every keynote, now I only remember one is happening if I check out CNET and get reminded of it. They need someone new and fresh with actual ideas to make Apple a relevant company, not just riding the coat tales of Jobs legacy. Bigger emoji's and the like will not help.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for posting that wonderings, it is very true and people are finally tiring of Apple's overpriced products that they will one day have to make affordable or die.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Thanks for posting that wonderings, it is very true and people are finally tiring of Apple's overpriced products that they will one day have to make affordable or die.
While Apple was always a premium brand they always have affordable machines. All Apple is doing with everything they come out with now is trying to push you into services. If you want any hard drive space beyond 128 you pay tooth and nail for it or have to go external which is very un Apple from an aesthetic point of view.

I am far more interested in what others are doing these days then with Apple. Just this morning I was reading on CNET about a gaming laptop that had a screen come apart from the keyboard. While the product in its current state is ugly, it is one of those ideas that had me thinking "wow so simple, how did no one do this before?"

https://www.cnet.com/news/asus-rog-mothership-reimagines-the-power-laptop-at-ces-2019/

I can only imagine how great that would look with Apples design sense. Reminds me of a Nintendo Switch (which I own and love). Great for portable gaming, great for plugging into the tv, great for taking on a plane and setting up on the table, just well thought out and functional.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I am really surprised the XR is doing so poorly. Specs are great, screen actually looks good and is much more affordable compared to the XS and has a better battery then the XS Max.

So really the XS has a better screen, camera and the gigabyte LTE. Again the screen looks great to me on my XR. I have looked at my friends XS and while colours are certainly better and blacks cannot be beat on OLED, it is such a small screen that I really don't care, also not watching any serious media on my phone that I can actually appreciate the cinema quality.

LTE is fast as it is, have not felt any hangups with it yet so not sure what huge benefit there is there. My streaming audio streams immediately, same for youtube videos and web pages. I guess faster is always better but it seems like we have gotten to a point where the technology is not making any huge noticeable improvement for daily regular use.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I am really surprised the XR is doing so poorly. Specs are great, screen actually looks good and is much more affordable compared to the XS and has a better battery then the XS Max.
Just got one yesterday while I could still get a decent trade value for my 8 plus. Great device so far. While you could tell the difference between the XS and XR side by side, it wasn't so big a difference to be worth the premium. And without my glasses they looked the same =)

Problem is, while there are people willing to pay a ridiculous premium for devices, Apple will keep pricing that way. Sadly by then the old guard will likely have moved on. I really feel since Jobs, they have inched their way closer and closer to being only a vanity product. That is, devices of yore looked great, too, but they were also functional, solid and long lived. New devices are just expensive disposable commodities.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Just got one yesterday while I could still get a decent trade value for my 8 plus. Great device so far. While you could tell the difference between the XS and XR side by side, it wasn't so big a difference to be worth the premium. And without my glasses they looked the same =)

Problem is, while there are people willing to pay a ridiculous premium for devices, Apple will keep pricing that way. Sadly by then the old guard will likely have moved on. I really feel since Jobs, they have inched their way closer and closer to being only a vanity product. That is, devices of yore looked great, too, but they were also functional, solid and long lived. New devices are just expensive disposable commodities.
I agree completely. Being saying this for a while now since Cook took over. There was a balance of form and function, now they are going full force towards form while ignoring function. So many examples of this in their products.

I have to say I am happy that sales are down despite profits being up. Apple needs a serious kick in the ass to change direction and become the company I once loved. They have actually become annoying, every even they have they praise themselves way to much, a little humility is a good thing.

Next phone might not even be an iPhone. Never thought I would look at anything else but I have started to move away from the Apple eco system. Music I stream from Amazon, have not touched iTunes on any computer or phone in ages, so much so that I will probably be canceling my iTunes match, despite it being incredibly cheap to host all my songs, I never use it. I am much more willing then I ever have been to look for other options away from Apple.

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
I agree completely. Being saying this for a while now since Cook took over. There was a balance of form and function, now they are going full force towards form while ignoring function. So many examples of this in their products.

It seems it's not just Tim Cooks influence that's changing things at Apple, but the change in the design department with Jony Ive's head in the thinness cloud and the iOS and macOS software departments trying different directions without a decent leader and then, of course, all their bean counters.

It's sure NOT the Apple of yore that I knew!!!

And in my senior pension years, I have no need for ridiculously over-priced new Apple "Smart" iPhone thanks.

- Patrick
======

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I have to say I am happy that sales are down despite profits being up. Apple needs a serious kick in the ass to change direction and become the company I once loved. They have actually become annoying, every even they have they praise themselves way to much, a little humility is a good thing.
There is the glimmer of hope. Most of their services require their hardware/software. When they've alienated enough customers from buying their hardware the profits in services dries up pretty quickly, then things get shaken up and hopefully someone else rights the course.

Not to mention a lot of the new customers who jump on the bandwagon to have the latest shiny thing, will just as quickly run towards the next shiny thing. They can't count on the once loyal customers sticking through it.

I'm actually at the point where I'm picking whatever platform I hate the least which is so different from a decade ago. Apple is winning on convenience alone.

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
I'm actually at the point where I'm picking whatever platform I hate the least which is so different from a decade ago. Apple is winning on convenience alone.

Then there are people like my senior cousin, a really basic computer user, who was convinced by her nephew that she needed to upgrade from her 2008 MacBook that was basically stuck in Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

So they bought a brand new MacBook Air, the younger nephew got her data migrated, and she got madder and madder the more she used it and she couldn't do half the things she used to do.

I ended up migrating her data to my old 2007 15" MacBook Pro and running El Capitan with all the stuff she uses, modified for her use, and she just loves it.

She returned the MacBook Air for a full refund.

I'm sure there are lots of others just like her which does not help Apple's sales and profits at all.

- Patrick
======

1 - 20 of 60 Posts