Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Needless to say, even if they were, it would be quite the task to get it done, and it most likely would be quite limited...

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RicktheChemist wrote:
"I doubt it has anything to do with the MWSF 2003 show. Maybe something later on in the year."

I looked in the patent database, and the patent was filed some time ago (back in February, I think), so there's a chance this technology will show up at MWSF.

"SO, when do we start talking about what we think will show up at MWSF?"

Right now ;) From what I've read on the rumour sites, most of the conjecture seems to be about an iMac speed-bump or screen-bump. Hopefully there'll be something more interesting than that.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
From what i have been reading in the last few months the possibilities for MWSF 03 are:

Speed/Screen Bumped iMacs (15" 800, 17" Combo and Superdrive 867, 17" 1GHz Superdrive)
iMovie 3 (support for widescreen and chaptermarkers)
iDVD3 (support for widescreen and chapter markers)
A new version of iCal
iSync Release
An eMac speed bump.

Jaguar on x86 (I don't think this is too likely, but it has been mentioned).

PowerMacs, iBooks and PowerBooks don;t seem too likely as they were all recently updated.

That is what I have been hearing anyway.

--PB

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
What I find most interesting is the wording of the slashdot summary:
"... Secret300 writes "Apple is applying for a patent to release "devices capable of dynamically changing their ornamental or decorative appearance." ..."

Sounds like a market product is imminent. The actual patent application is older; I think what Apple is doing now is establishing the intent to release with a Patent Pending notice prior to the actual granting.

A Patent Pending notice is sufficent to prevent others from infringing, because once granted it is retroactive to the application date.

Naturally, this comes on the 30th of Apple Rumour Month and we are about to enter Rumour Week, so anything is possible I guess.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have an NDA here that ties in to something that will be announced on Jan.7th. Heh. I've had the NDA for some time now. Not a new computer per say, but a new technology (hardware) part of all Macs. That's all I can say...

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts
Re: the colour changing patent...

Well, if they start lighting up the cases (no more buying a Grape or Bondi iMac... now you buy a crystal-clear iMac and choose your own colour!), they darn well better tie the light system into iTunes.

Wow - iTunes pumping visualizations onto the computer casing... Macs would be instantly huge in dance clubs and with digital DJs all over the world....

:D
M

·
Registered
433 Posts
ok, first of all, iTunes 4, with rendezvous technology. remember that at macworld last year?

second, there are these new lights out that chnage colour when you change the position of them. the light is incased in a cube. unplug the light and it still on, it runs on a powerpack. if you turn the light on it's side, it goes green, if you turn it onto its other side, it goes red.

maybe something along those lines for new macs?

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
My guess is the displays will change colours to indicate system status and/or pulse when the system is sleeping.

Laptops could use this tech to indicate charging status but I'm guessing we'll see it on the displays first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts