Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple Store down

I guess the rumours of new iMacs / MacPros might be true, store is down for updating as of 6:30 AM.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
And still down right now, 8:20am EST. Some bit downtime = a big product refresh? :D we can only hope.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The Canadian Apple Store is still down, but the US one is up.

Finally, new iMac and the Magic Trackpad.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
canadian store is up. the new big daddy imac looks like a frigging monster. 1GB of VRAM? yowsers

shameful there is still no mac pro

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
1GB video card on high end model looks interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't i7 model standard option last round? :confused: (Haven't had coffee yet)

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
edit: never mind...:D

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Looks decent. Be nice to see some benchmarks of the 3.6ghz dual-core vs. The 2.8ghz quad-core i5 chips.

I'm sure that 2.93ghz i7 blows them both away.

1GB VRAM is nice, but who needs that unless you're playing games??

Nice of them to let people know that the MacPro is coming. Wonder what the delay is/was? Can't be channel inventory - they're pretty sold out everywhere and they won't be clearing too much inventory now since people know there's a new one definitely on the way.

Magic Trackpad looks killer. I want I want! :D

·
Registered
611 Posts
1GB video card on high end model looks interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't i7 model standard option last round? :confused: (Haven't had coffee yet)
No, was BTO.

·
Premium Member
30,884 Posts
Likely video card on the MacPro and looks like no new tech - just additional core,
Maybe a speed bump

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Another interesting BTO option on the imac's is SSD drives as primary for os and apps, with secondary 1 or 2 tb hard drives for files. Anyone have some real world experience with SSD drives? They look much faster from benchmarks, but debating if it's worth the extra $750... The secondary large hard drive would seem to solve my main issue with them which was capacity... :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
I waited and held off for FIVE MONTHS before I made the commitment to buy a (then) top of the line iMac...

Then two weeks later, THIS!

*sob*

(Yeah, I know this is expected with Apple products, doesn't mean it hurts any less)

·
Premium Member
30,884 Posts
Nah - they are faster but too expensive and undetermined life span.

The Hybrid 2.5 500xt in a carrier or the 10k Velociraptor would be preferred for cost/performance especially in the towers.

We are looking at the heat sensor issue in the iMacs for a work around so we can install drives.
One reason we like the previous gen Macmini's we can put one or two 500xt hybrids in them and get insane speeds.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Sorry to hear that ahMEmon, I know you're pain... I've been waiting since the 27" one came out back in October, but the rumour mill had kicked into full swing of late so I was expecting an update by September though this one is surprisingly early... the only downside for me is how much of my money apple is going to get this month with the new imac and a new iphone all in the same week :D

1 - 20 of 107 Posts