Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple today announced a new BlueTooth Keyboard and mouse, which apparently look similar to the new KeyBoard and Mouse that comes with the G5 and eMacs.

Apple.com hasn't updated yet with the new equipment.

I was hoping for something that matched the G5 better, the current KeyBoard suxxx.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Still no double button/scroll wheel though... Good to know that Apple is at the level Logitech was 4 years ago...

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Naaa... but if you read the Apple text, it's really schmaltzy stuff around the theme of 'freedom from the wires'. For me the only blue tooth benefit is that you don't need to block a USB port with a receiver. Otherwise, Logitech was making very good wireless devices way back then... In the meantime, Apple still has their head up their bum with they zeal around single button devices.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
I agree, the wireless thing doesn't do anything for me. Waste of batteries (baddedies as my 2 year old daughter calls them

I can't figure out why Apple insists on a single button mouse. Its the first thing poeple like to poke fun at. You'd think they'd have something nicer to complement the G5 for sure.

Oh well....

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
AND THEY FINALLY UPDATED THE 15" POWERBOOK TOO!!! :eek: :D

They also bumped up the specs on the 12" and 17" PB.

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Man... I'm not crazy about cordless/BT KB and mouse. I have to be in close prox of the unit anyhow.

Much like stage performers, many will tell you that there's something to be said for a corded microphone. Some swear by them. Hey - that's where I'm @ there too... The classic (optical) mouse is/will be my thing. Maybe a BT KB.... maybe...

H!

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Hmm... not so sure about that... I liked having the easily-accessible USB port on the keyboard. Those of us who don't buy a new G5 will still be fiddling 'round the side of the eMac, or the back of the iMac...

M.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Same mouse as before minus a wire (and no scroll wheel) plus a keyboard that forces you to give up your two well-used USB ports. I also noticed that they opted for non-rechargeable lithium-powered batteries to power the devices, which, when you think of it, is counter-intuitive since it means that every so often (unless you have spares) you're going to wind-up with a dead battery and a computer that you can't use. In my books, this is not an upgrade, it's step backwards. Too bad, really. I expected better from Apple.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
One side Apple gives you a new type of keyboard.. everyone complains about using batteries.. etc.. etc..

Other side before Apple annouced keyboard and mouse; complain that Apple still uses corded stuff..

Man.. Apple has a tough life.. I'd hate to be the PR people..

I am happy to see the new key/mice combination, shows apple is leading the way "after" Microsoft introduced these types of devices last year...

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
645 Posts
I think Apple should be ashamed for introducing their version of a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I would have expected a lot more innovation that would have put them over the top of the competition. First of all you can get a lot of wireless keyboards and mice for a lot cheaper then what Apple is offering. You will also get a scroll wheel and 2 button mouse that just about every single PC user out there is using today. What the heck is up with WHITE keyboards and White Mice? At least give us the option of black or white.

I love having the option of 2 USB ports on my keyboard. Although I'm not blaming anyone such as Apple, it is just a preference of mine.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
With Bluetooth, USB ports are impossible. Bluetooth only transmits data at 1/11th of USB for one, and the AA batteries will drain quite quickly if you have devices drawing power off of them.

PGant - They are AA batteries. Haven't you heard of rechargable AA batteries? AA batteries are also cheap, and easy to buy from near any corner store. Though it would have been nicer to have a Lithium-ion battery with a dock to charge.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Chealion,

Yes I know the reason why the USB ports are impossible to have with wireless.

On your second point, see that is what I'm talking about. Apple should have gone the extra mile to give us the Lithium-ion Battery option.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
My wireless mouse on the PC gives me about 6 months (sometimes more) on 2 AAA batteries, so recharging is not a big issue. I assume the keyboard is more power hungry but as I don't have one....

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Actually keyboard uses less power.

When I was using my logitech cordless optical freedom keyboard and mouse, I only had to change the batteries in the kb after about a year. On the other hand I changed the batteries in the mouse several times.

Even though the kb used 4 x AA's and the mouse 2 x AA's, it was less. I think the continuous monitoring of positions with the mouse uses a lot of power.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
According to reports, the new BT Keyboard should last around 9 months on its 4 AA batteries, and the BT Mouse should last around 3 months on its 2 AA batteries.

As to the 2 button vs. 1 button debate that continually rages, I think I said it here best.

--PB

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Well....

The mouse has a non-rechargeable lithium battery (watch battery style?).. not sure if there is a rechargeable battery that could be swapped in its place. Anyone?

As for the issue of the keyboard & mouse... I think people would be a little less peeved if we could REMOVE the keyboard & mouse from our orders, knowing that they (the mouse at the very least) would be replaced with a better after-market model.

Apple would do well to leave the standard shipping keyboard / mouse as-is, and market their "Pro" mice/keyboards with wireless and multiple buttons.

For those who have never tried it, a multi-button mouse has a huge productivity impact.

M.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
PosterBoy - You must have that thing bookmarked for the amount of times you've referenced it.

CubaMark - It takes AA, so there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get some rechargable AA batteries and use them. Although, your idea of not choosing to take an Apple Mouse sounds good, I really doubt that Apple will ever do that, as they ship the computer so you can set up and be working on it within minutes. (Well minus the towers as they don't come with monitors by default).

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I'm happy about the battery choice because rechargeable batteries always wear out eventually, and of course the AA kind are much easier to replace. Wish the iPod and Palm handhelds were using standard batteries. I've already ordered the mouse for my 12" PB which has been pining for a bluetooth mouse.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts