Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

That was an interesting article. I have always been upset with how the music/movie/computer industry assumes that I'm a criminal even before I've purchased their product. They assume that I'm going to make copies and distribute these to other people for profit or for pleasure. I find that very insulting.

It's like the tax we pay on blank CD-RW, which is supposed to support artists/creative professionals for loses they may suffer through illegal distribution of their product. I like the fact that Apple is trying to be customer rights sensitive, while no one else is.

I find it very ironic that Sony makes CD-Rs, my CD-RW drive, some other ripping/encoding hardware, and they have the nerve to put copy protection on some of their music artists' 'CDs.' What a bunch of hypocrites, but it's not just Sony, they just happen to be the only company I can think of at the moment.

I love the fact that I can take a digital product, put it on my computer and put the CD it came on into storage, for later use. Apple has got the 'digital hub' thing going great.

James

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

Also, just to slag on Sony, I think they had a big legal battle against the US television networks when they introduced their Beta-Max way back when. I think the TV networks were upset that people could now record their very own copy of the aired TV show, and that Sony was allowing people to be 'video pirates.'

It's funny to see Sony on the other side of the fence, now.

James

·
Registered
363 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by james_squared:
I think they had a big legal battle against the US television networks when they introduced their Beta-Max way back when. I think the TV networks were upset that people could now record their very own copy of the aired TV show, and that Sony was allowing people to be 'video pirates.'

It's funny to see Sony on the other side of the fence, now.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, but they won that case when a judge decided it was legal to "time shift" a tv show for later viewing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts