Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my students told me that apple was switching to AMD in 2008....this isn't true is it? i googled it and only found articles on people wondering why apple didn't choose amd over intel so i am guessing it isn't true.....right?

·
Canuck of Enlightenment
949 Posts
Do not believe everthing you hear! While no one here can give you a definite answer, I am going to say it sound bogus. Intel has really cozied up to Apple. Even going as far as allowing them accsess to chips before anyone else (4 core chips). I just do not see the heel dragging like IBM or motorola did. Apple seems pretty loyal to suppliers that produce. I hope that helps

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Switching over to AMD would be rather foolish at this point, given the apparent pricing and volume arrangements (not to mention exclusive access to certain chips) that Apple has with Intel.

This was originally reported in the DigiTimes, if I recall... well known for it's lack of accurate information.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Switching to Intel in 2006 and then switching to AMD 2 years later would make no practical sense in any form.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Seeing that Intel's chips are about 1-2 years ahead of amd's as far as performance goes, I doubt that Apple will go with AMD. before the duel cores AMD was known to have the better desktop chips but was always behind in the notebook chips. Intel always had faster, cooler, and more power efficient chips for laptops. Now that intel has leap frogged the desktop dept. and pulled far ahead in the notebook dept., Apple moving to AMD would be suicide.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Apple hasn't announced anything about using AMD CPU chips. But Apple probably uses other AMD chips in their products and of course now that ATI is part of AMD, there is an AMD chip in every intel iMac and MacBook Pro as well as other Macs.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
one of my students told me that apple was switching to AMD in 2008....this isn't true is it?
Unless your student is Steve Jobs - no, it's not. :)

At least, Apple hasn't announced any such move and, while anything is possible, I don't see it happening.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Arguably, they already have

Once AMD bought ATI all ATI graphics cards and chips became AMD graphics cards and chips.

No where does the original poster specifically mention CPUs and not GPUs.

The student could simply have seen a reference to the completion of AMD branding of ATI products.

~dmg

·
Registered
82 Posts
Apple hasn't announced anything about using AMD CPU chips. But Apple probably uses other AMD chips in their products and of course now that ATI is part of AMD, there is an AMD chip in every intel iMac and MacBook Pro as well as other Macs.

24inch Imac's have NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT cards. This could be a sign of Apple moving from Ati to Nvidia.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
24inch Imac's have NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT cards. This could be a sign of Apple moving from Ati to Nvidia.
Or it could mean absolutely nothing as most of the iMacs use ATI cards, except for the 24" and the educational model, Apple uses ATI in the Macbook Pro, but Intel in the Macbook, Apple defaults to Nvidia in the Mac Pro but the high-end on a Mac Pro is an ATI card. Apple uses what ever graphics card they like and will likely stay will two (or three if you count Intel) vendors as it provides them with variety and the option to go to the other vendor should one vendor have something better, or something the other vendor doesn't have.

alexis7oo said:
This is the original ...
I really enjoyed reading this ,thanks
Thanks, and welcome to ehMac.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I didn't think there was anything to this, but he insisted there was so I thought I'd ask. I'm going to go tell him he's an idiot hahahaha. Besides, he thinks Vista is good :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts