Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=2749

I'd go along with that. I think that the ads we not executed, properly, And frankly, people have been switchingn since before the "Switch" campaign started, thanks to Mac OS X. A UNIX with a solid GUI and great mainstream soiftware support was and is a draw. And yet, they have done NOTHING about advertising the power of X! WHY?!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
There is no mention of the "power of os x" because that wasn't part of their gameplan in the switch marketing.

Apple was marketing the fact that Mac's are just plain and simple easier to use than PC's.

If you are marketing to those people, then you are marketing to a bunch of people who don't even know what an "operating system" is (like my mother for example)...nevermind know what they are taking about with stuff such as "rendezvous" and "unix".

You simply stick with the fact that they're easier, they're prettier, and they aren't PC's. Simple as that.

NOW...having said that...I don't see that it would be a problem to, along side those dummy switch ads, also have another run of ads appealing to people who are a little more computer saavy, who would understand the benefits of the glorious OS X system.

On another level (much like the ipod/itunes ad push) I think another way that apple can sneak in is through the whole internet communication area. ichat and isight and rendezvous are seriously beautiful, easy and wonderfully enticing (so much so that my PARENTS are now switching to the ibook in order to be able to use them).

Let's think about what *most* people that own computers do with their machines:
-internet browsing
-instant messaging
-email
-online shopping
-music listening

People communicate on these things! This is a *huge* sector that apple should be pouncing on! Free video and phone capabilities! Add all of the itunes/ipod stuff to that and you've got it mostly covered!

Then add airport and an ibook and you've got a excellently priced, MOBILE system, that lets you do more than everything the average user wants to do!!

But that's just me. :D

p.s. I wonder if those ads do anything? As far as I can see it's apple USERS that are switching people over. (Personally I thought those ads were insulting to my intelligence when I was a PC user...I thought to myself...*this* is all they are doing?!?! And not to mention I didn't believe them that Mac's were easier because I was using OS 9 at work and TOTALLY hated it. I swore off Macs forever with that OS.) They should take the ads off the air and start paying the people doing all the work! BETTER YET....they should have ONE ad that says "we'll pay you $500 for every person you switch to mac"! now THAT would tip the scales in apple's favour! :D

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
Let's face it, people are not going to switch unless the cost of Mac computers and hardware is competitive in the mid to low end market.

The advantages of the Mac are not obvious to the mass market but the price tag certainly is. Apple can fill a niche in the computer industry but they lost the mass market war years ago. The switcher ads provided some entertainment for those already converted but not much else.

I wish Apple had spent more time and money to support their installed user base instead of pissing them off (ie forced goosestep march to OSX).

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The problem with the switch ads was that there were too many. If they had weeded out the ones that didn't go anywhere and focused on the ones that said things very plainly and directly, i think they would have done better.

Patrick Gant was good as I recall: "I never wanted to see the blue screen of death again"
Janie Porche was good too "I saved Christmas with my Mac"

but the best one was Aaron Adams, who said "In over a year of use I have not found one thing I can do with a PC that I cannot do with my Macintosh".

That has to be the best marketing line anyone could ask for, and yet after just 13 weeks they stopped airing the first round of switch ads in favour of a new group.

It was a good idea concept, but the execution was a little lack-luster.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Let's face it, people are not going to switch unless the cost of Mac computers and hardware is competitive in the mid to low end market.
Agreed. I know there are folks in the Mac community who never want to hear another word about how "Macs are too pricey" and argue that "Apple makes superior products and superior products come at a premium," but that is just too damned bad. Money talks. And as long as folks can get a Dell with all the bells and whistles for substantially less than a Mac...they will stick with a Dell.

OS X is not a compelling enough reason, by itself, to win over Windows users...even if we know it is. ;)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
it's a cost thing - simply. Ppl have made mention of it, but this is the key in a very aggressive market. Look @ the new dell Lap. Sub $1k out the box. :eek: - that is something worth talking about. No matter how much you tell ppl about the s/w inclusion, ease of use, design etc... they will look to save the $$. That kinda sucks. But oh well, more for us. :D

H!

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
i've always found their creative to be weak. the switch campaign was a great idea with poor execution.

but the switch ads looks positively masterful next to the G5 ads. apple should be trumpeting the virtues of X, and trying to dispel the myth that there is no software for mac's, and if you buy one you won't be able to do the things you used to on the pc. that's always the problem i've come up against when i've attempted to 'switch' people.

but no amount of advertising, as others have suggested, will overcome the insane price points of the 'consumer' models. one exception might be the new g4 ibook, which is priced reasonably.

:rolleyes: :(

·
peek-a-boo
17,114 Posts
You hit nail on the head bloodyface. I switched a year ago, and believe, it was not the hardware that made me switch. In fact the hardware almost made me switch back! I find it funny that some mac users would find that statement preposterous, but therein lies the problem. Yes the iMac is nifty. Yay. But these things won't make a huge dent in switching. OS X is why I switched to using macs, and why I'm sticking it out with my hardware woes. And any of the friends I have who have switched, all like the switch because of OS X. Not because the box is pretty, or that it "saved" christmas" (what idiot came up with that one...) or because we have the fastest cpu. There are som many good things about macs, and Apple is mum about it. Funny that.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

Yes, it is the software that made me switch. Sure, some of their products are 'pretty,' but all I really want is a computer that isn't going to crash. And, for me, that's getting Windows off the computer!

And, of course, the iPod -- I had to buy an iPod for my wife so I could get a Mac. This was when they were only compatible with Macs. It was a win-win situation.

James

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Odd isn't it?

I find people use some sort of fuzzy logic when they throw away extra money on things like cars, televisions, stereos and a plethora of things because they believe they're "better"... and in the same breath are stingy over the cost of a computer.

Generally speaking, the cost of a Mac relatively close to a PC. So why do people believe a PC is better than a Mac if the price is lower? Mac folk like to throw the car analogy around a lot.

I think the problem isn't so much the price per sé as it is the relationship Apple has with it's resellers. Given a choice, most stores that sell Mac and PC will push the PC. Albeit, in some cases bias is at play, but the bottom line is the almight dollar. If Apple really opened their arms to resellers and provided an incentive to get them to sell more Macs, they will, regardless of price.

However Apple really should open the consumer level iMac(hine)s to a slightly more upgrade-friendly architecture. At the very least add one slot for future expansion. Some people see a computer as an investment and want to get the most out of it... not have to look at purchasing another computer every 2-3 years.

Anyway, just some ramblings...

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

Nice comments mannyp regarding the car analogy.

I'm not too sure about the upgradability of computers being a huge issue for the 'average' consumer. I think the closed architecture is just fine as most people are going to buy a new computer every 2-3 years anyway. The 'average' user probably doesn't want to go through the hassle of upgrading their machine. Personally, I think the upgradability option is pushed more by salespeople than by consumers, but that's just me.

James

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
bloodyface said it right:
...and trying to dispel the myth that there is no software for mac's...
I think the most troubling part about buying a Mac is when consumers, who are in the market to buy a computer, go to a store (Future Shop) and have to pass aisle after aisle of PC software just to get to the Mac display. How can a potential buyer be encouraged to buy a Mac when he/she asks a sales associate to see the Mac software selection and there isn't any. It wasn't that long ago that even Electronics Boutique had a "Mac section" now the only chain who is doing it right seems to be CompuSmart (I know, I know they're not much, but it's better than nothing).

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Time and time again I have people asking me what type of computer should I buy?

The first thing I ask them is what do you want to do? 95% of the time they want to do simple things like the internet, digital photos, music, and a little bit of video editing. The other 5% want to use it for applications like AutoCAD.

When I demonstrate the virtues of my iMac with iPhoto and a digital camera that has never been connected to my iMac (I always point out the fact that I didn't have to install any software or drivers) their jaw hits the floor. No PC can claim to do that.

Of course the point of price comes into question. True, a Mac is more expensive than a PC, however I point out that if they were to build a comparable PC (with three USB, FireWire etc), they would be paying more. Sure you could buy a cheaper PC, but after you are done upgrading, you will be comparable in price. with say the iMac you really have no need to upgrade (from a consumer point) except for maybe the RAM, which can be done easily. My last Mac I got a good six yars out of it before I had to upgrade. to me that's a good return on investment. Something you won't get with a PC.

Besides Apple is a hardware AND a software manufacturer. Simply stated, the OS is meant to work with the Hardware. And it does just that very well.

If Apple wants to switch PC users, why not have ads that explain just what I have mentioned?

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
another major selling point that has been hitherto unexploited in apple's television ads is the virus thing.

this would be an enormous draw for many fed up pc users. but who knows for how much longer we will be able to boast about the virus free thing.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Here ya go groovetube:

hitherto

adv : used in negative statement to describe a situation that has existed up to this point or up to the present time; "So far he hasn't called"; "the sun isn't up yet" [syn: so far, thus far, up to now, heretofore, as yet, yet, til now,until now]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

(An empty response to an "empty comment").

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have always found the price thing ironic. People will buy a Lexus, instead of a Hyundai, Hugo Boss instead of Wal Mart, and would never set foot in McDonalds. And yet, they become misers when talking computer hardware -- and not give a second thought to the environment in which they will work. What is more important: how much PC you can toss in your car trunk one day, or how the computer treats YOU EVERY DAY? Many people's thinking is so cart-before-horse on this. It is Apple's greatest challenge -- yet, their most compelling distinction.

·
peek-a-boo
17,114 Posts
Yea, the price thing shouldn't really an issue anymore. Macs have come down in price. The only thing is, on the lower end there's only all-in-ones.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
on the upside, after reading the article, at least apple executives realize there is a problem and are working on changes. who knows, maybe apple will finally get it right with the next round of creative.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts