Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the story with this App specific password nonsense??
iMessages and FaceTime became nightmares to use! and whenever I want to update account info or log in after restarting, I'm asked to enter that app specific password that was automatically generated by apple with some 16 characters or something! am I supposed to write this down somewhere? or maybe remember it?
Who comes up with this crap?!!!!
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:::mad::mad::mad:
:ptptptptp:ptptptptp:ptptptptp

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
?? It's your Apple ID password. Change it if you don't like it?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, beside my Apple ID password, I was asked to create an app specific password for FaceTime and iMessages.
and when you do, you don't to choose, they just assign you one!

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Are you experiencing this in iOS or OSX??

I am not seeing this in either iOS 8.2 or OSX 10.10.2 and I use both applications frequently.

:confused:

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
LOL I am glad i don't use 2 step verificataion.

Instead, i have a long secure, meaningless password for my apple ID. I think that's enough.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
LOL I am glad i don't use 2 step verificataion.

Instead, i have a long secure, meaningless password for my apple ID. I think that's enough.
2-step works fine once you've set it up. The only time consuming part are the app-specific passwords, and even that isn't so bad.

Aside from being way more secure, the plus side is that, as I understand it, the app-specific passwords won't expire, so for anyone with a Developer account won't have to keep changing all of the app passwords every 3 months, just the main account password.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I disabled the 2 step verification, unfortunate since I believe it's a fantastic concept, yet the execution is too cumbersome!
I would've had no problems with app specific passwords if I can select, edit them.. But when it's a randomized character that I just copy paste, and then I'm asked to enter that number 4 weeks later, this is problematic!
You can't even retrieve it, you can only revoke it then create a new one.. A bit of over reach of you ask me..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts