Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any ehMacians had any sleep problems that got resolved?

For quite some time now, I haven't been able to get a descent sleep and wake up feeling rested. Mrs. ehMax has been noticing that I really toss and turn a lot and have been snoring like a broken chainsaw. I've finally got around to scheduling a doctor's appointment for a visit and possibly a referral to a sleep clinic for testing.

Has anyone gone through this process? Is the only solution to get one of those storm trooper looking masks? Has anyone used one of those, and did it help? Does anyone know of other solutions that are available to improve sleep?

I try to get a decent amount of exercise, and have shed about 25 pounds over the past 6 months, but that doesn't seem to have helped. Have tried to stay on a schedule, have tried getting up really early, so far no rest. The bed we have isn't that old and it's a good comfy mattress. I've tried white noise with a fan, and after awhile it just irritates me.

There is only one time in my adult life where I slept good. That was the week I went to Florida with my family about 5 years ago or so. The whole week I fell asleep at 11:00 PM and woke up at 6:30 feeling like a million bucks. Not sure if it was the exercise, the nice bed, the lack of stress, or combination of everything. Maybe it was the air? It was incredible how much I noticed it, when I woke up how rested I felt.

Even if I have a Saturday where I try sleeping in until 11:00 in the morning, I still wake up feeling still tired. Have had a complete physical recently where I got a clean bill of health.

Would be interested to hear of anyone else's sleep woes and if they got resolved and how. :)

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts

For quite some time now, I haven't been able to get a descent sleep and wake up feeling rested. Mrs. ehMax has been noticing that I really toss and turn a lot and have been snoring like a broken chainsaw. I've finally got around to scheduling a doctor's appointment for a visit and possibly a referral to a sleep clinic for testing.

Has anyone gone through this process? Is the only solution to get one of those storm trooper looking masks? Has anyone used one of those, and did it help? Does anyone know of other solutions that are available to improve sleep?
Good for you. I know 2 people who've been through the process. One was because their sleep apnea lead to 2 successive heart attacks - for them it was almost too late. Don't underestimate how dangerous a certain kind of snoring can be.

If you are a chronic snorer and it's not acute environmental factors (allergies, bad mattress) then you'll often have a sensor that you have to hook up to and sleep for a day or two while avoiding things that affect your sleep (alcohol, pills). They can then determine if your snoring affects your heartrate and breathing. If it does, the severity can determine the course of action. One of the most drastic and scary sounding is a CPAP machine which is difficult to adjust to because it involves wearing a mask and a slightly noisy machine but often works absolute miracles. One friend named their CPAP "Mr Awesome" because it's changed her life.

I try to get a decent amount of exercise, and have shed about 25 pounds over the past 6 months, but that doesn't seem to have helped. Have tried to stay on a schedule, have tried getting up really early, so far no rest. The bed we have isn't that old and it's a good comfy mattress. I've tried white noise with a fan, and after awhile it just irritates me.

There is only one time in my adult life where I slept good. That was the week I went to Florida with my family about 5 years ago or so. The whole week I fell asleep at 11:00 PM and woke up at 6:30 feeling like a million bucks. Not sure if it was the exercise, the nice bed, the lack of stress, or combination of everything. Maybe it was the air? It was incredible how much I noticed it, when I woke up how rested I felt.
Could be the atmosphere, humidity can help some people and hurt others. Also could be how the air was conditioned.

Even if I have a Saturday where I try sleeping in until 11:00 in the morning, I still wake up feeling still tired. Have had a complete physical recently where I got a clean bill of health.

Would be interested to hear of anyone else's sleep woes and if they got resolved and how. :)
It's possible! It's one of those things people are weird about not getting checked out for, but people should, absolutely. Good for your for taking steps and booking that appointment! :clap:

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I had a case of insomnia (couldn't get to sleep, couldn't stay asleep) for weeks, a few years back. Got pills for it. I sleep like a baby now.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Ya, I went through that over 11 yrs ago..
it was a horrible experience.. in the end I recommend separate sleeping accommodations..

My wife couldn't sleep so I ended up at sleep clinic.. LOL funny how that works, they connected me up to a bunch of machines - I looked like a borg from star trek - made me fill out a survey - basically to find out if you are nuts or going to go postal any time soon.

You are jammed in a small room like a cubical with wafer thin walls and you have godzilla snoring through out the clinic - every 10mins a speaker comes " why aren't you sleeping?" or better when I do get sleepy out of pure desperation and exhaustion - rolled to my side or front the speakers and lights come on again " please dont sleep on your side or front".. at the point I ripped of the wires and told them to f off and I left.. sleep clinics - that is an ironic name for it..

at the end I went for xrays and the doctor said you may have a deviated septum/nasal on one side.. the fix was to drill with a router up my nose so they can 'clear the path'

so in the end I said no way...
I bought a simmons beauty rest mattress king size- do not disturb mattress [which doesnt help the wife's nagging] but it helped
now that we have kids.. I start out in my bed and end in my kids bed when they come running at 2 AM to ours as if the house is falling to the ground.

I also bought a bunch of different pillows.. to experiment.. feathers, non feathers, hard, soft, side sleeping pillows etc.. so now I have a house full of pillows..

I find that when I sleep on my front/face and hug the pillow and the windows open and the room pitch black in the kids bed [or on my own], I am good..
most of the time I can put in 12 hours of sleep.. [ but i am happy with 6 hours that I do get ] I try to get that at twice a month of 12 hour sleeps.

also before going to bed, do not consume alcohol or caffeine.. try to clear your mind or work or any other stress - that should help [ but some how my wife always seems to find a way to ask the most dumbest questions at bed time not sure why ? ]

Good luck that is my experience.

·
peek-a-boo
16,425 Posts
One thing that has made a huge difference is making sure the room is blacked out. NO gadgets with little lights, no matter how small they might seem, or clocks, black out curtains (like the ones they use in hotels incidentally). That has made a huge difference.

Also, no screen time an hour before bed if at all possible. I've started reading before bed, not about politics :))) or anything that could get my brain rolling.

Diet, no sugar hours before bed, I stopped caffeine after lunch if possible, and don't eat a large supper.

I've had lots of sleeping problems, and these are things that have been suggested to me, and have made a difference. (especially the light thing and diet)

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Yeah, those were some of the recommendations I was given.

A few others:
  • Go to bed at the same time
  • Don't do anything in bed but sleep, don't use the bed to watch TV, etc.
  • Don't exercise before bed - like Groovetube said it was suggested to read a book, but I don't really read that much... sometimes I'll do this though.
  • Repeat something to yourself verbally (like a chant) - I sorta like:
    • my head is heavy, my arms are heavy, my body is heavy, my legs are heavy
But with my specific problem (my problem was different than yours), I found a mix of these and the medication prescribed helped me. One of my problems seemed to be that my mind liked to keep on working on this or worrying about things, even if I tried to stop.

I'm sure you'll find a solution between you and your doctor.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Mr. Mayor I am no Doctor and have not often had the issues that you speak of, but knowing a bit about your personal life of late I would assume that this is due to the changes in your life, new business and leaving a secure pay cheque?

May not be something that you are worried about but may show that it's something that keeps you (and many other) entrepreneurs up late at night.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
What did it for me was losing weight. I don't snore anymore and now have a full night sleep. Also be careful about starting with a sleep clinic because once you start with them and you miss any appointment with them or cancel they can and have for many people I know had their driver license suspended. And to get it back will be a hassle. Just warning you. They will make you buy a machine to sleep with. It will make you sound like darth vader while sleeping.

But don't neglect your snoring as I have seen and watched people who snore and when sleepping and watched them stop breathing and it forces them awake.

Have you gained weight lately? Not saying that is the issue.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
One thing that has made a huge difference is making sure the room is blacked out. NO gadgets with little lights, no matter how small they might seem, or clocks, black out curtains (like the ones they use in hotels incidentally). That has made a huge difference.

Also, no screen time an hour before bed if at all possible. I've started reading before bed, not about politics :))) or anything that could get my brain rolling.

Diet, no sugar hours before bed, I stopped caffeine after lunch if possible, and don't eat a large supper.

I've had lots of sleeping problems, and these are things that have been suggested to me, and have made a difference. (especially the light thing and diet)
All good points.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
You could also look at a magnesium diffiicenicy. My fiancée got it from Dr. OZ. you can buy a big bottle from Costco and take one a day. Ask your doctor.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Two more which I'm not sure were mentioned... Turning off the iPhone if you are using it like an alarm clock. I don't have many sleep problems so it doesn't wake either my wife or I up when it goes off (junk mail pinging at 2am), but I know people who were affected by it.

The other which helps me at certain points in my life, keep a note pad by the bed. Many people get into the bad habit of either talking about "to do" lists with their spouse right before bed or will remember something they have to do the next day. So instead of talking about stressful things or worrying about remembering them, just jot them down and put them out of your head.

·
Bald by choice
9,055 Posts
I try to get a decent amount of exercise, and have shed about 25 pounds over the past 6 months
Have you gained weight lately? Not saying that is the issue.
It pays to read the whole thread...

Don't laugh but the hot milk trick works for me.
I've had nights when I went to bed and just lay there, nothing, nada no sleep at all.
Got up and put a cup of milk in the micro wave, sat back and sipped it, once back in bed I was asleep in short order.
This works every time for me.
Don't know what the facts are but there is info on the net, such as this that somewhat validates the hot milk bit.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
It pays to read the whole thread...
Ok I will confess I did not read his entire post. :eek: But could he lose more than 25lbs? I know it made a difference for me. I lost to date 112 lbs. I sleep all the way through the night now and my finacee says I don't snore no more. Not saying its just overweight people who snore but most if not all the overweight people I know snore.

The hot milk is what my grandmother use to give to me and my mother gives to her grandchildren. So it might work.

Mayor you did mention that when you went to Florida you had a good sleep, so how about anywhere else you have went on vacation? Could it be your environment? The air in your house?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Mayor you did mention that when you went to Florida you had a good sleep, so how about anywhere else you have went on vacation? Could it be your environment? The air in your house?
Much more likely to be the absence of obligation and responsibility while on vacation. When the mind is idle except for the pleasant activities of a vacation, one tends to sleep well.

·
Antidisestablishmentarian
516 Posts

I've always had a really bad problem with sleep. Your positive experience in FL may have been due to exposure to sea air?

Stress is most definitely exacerbating the situation. Have you tried sleeping with Ear Plugs? On the weekends when I don't have to wake up with Junior, earplugs work GREAT for me.

Also, the local sleep clinic in KW (if you go to the same one I went to) is GROSS! Bring your own pillows at least, no matter how much they tell you not to. The pillow I was on was washed but had yellow/orange stains which I assume were blood. I kid you not.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Toss out your Macs and get a PC - the stress and hassle of using one daily will exhaust you. You'll sleep like a baby when the nightmares are done. :D

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Some great suggestions. 1:00 AM and I've been at computer for past 4 hours, probably not good. I should try reading before bed. For some reason, I hate reading books. Still haven't even finished Steve Jobs book, and that's about as interesting as it gets for me. :eek:

Still, will try everyone's suggestion before doctor's visit next week.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, those were some of the recommendations I was given.

A few others:
  • Go to bed at the same time
  • Don't do anything in bed but sleep, don't use the bed to watch TV, etc.
  • Don't exercise before bed - like Groovetube said it was suggested to read a book, but I don't really read that much... sometimes I'll do this though.
  • Repeat something to yourself verbally (like a chant) - I sorta like:
    • my head is heavy, my arms are heavy, my body is heavy, my legs are heavy
But with my specific problem (my problem was different than yours), I found a mix of these and the medication prescribed helped me. One of my problems seemed to be that my mind liked to keep on working on this or worrying about things, even if I tried to stop.

I'm sure you'll find a solution between you and your doctor.
Was chatting with my friend who had similar issue. He had issue with not being able to shut off his mind and has some medication he takes. I think that's best to describe for me falling asleep, I can't shut off my mind. I can fall asleep, but when I do, it's staying asleep that's the problem.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mr. Mayor I am no Doctor and have not often had the issues that you speak of, but knowing a bit about your personal life of late I would assume that this is due to the changes in your life, new business and leaving a secure pay cheque?

May not be something that you are worried about but may show that it's something that keeps you (and many other) entrepreneurs up late at night.
It's been going on for a really long time before some other changes. I've been procrastinating and procrastinating talking to my doctor about it.

Could be related to the thing of not being able to shut mind off. Maybe reading / unwinding is the answer. Will go to bed now and read for a bit. Got a nice book written by Neil Peart about his motorcycle adventures, maybe that will be a good book to get into. :)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts