1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I bought Acrobat 9 and have been using that for two main purposes:
1. Create a searchable pdf using OCR
2. Do text editing in either the searchable pdf I created or on other pdfs

Worked so far most of the time, but I'm running into more and more situations where either OCR doesn't generate a searchable document, or the OCR is poor (lots of letters missing or wrong) or text edit just does not work,

A friend of mine has Acrobat DC and the OCR with that is much better.
A pdf document that Acrobat 9 OCR couldn't process or process incorrectly, he had no problems using OCR on Acrobat DC where the text came out perfectly.

Trouble is that Acrobat DC cost a lot more than what I'm prepared to spend for pdf editing software with OCR.

So after a bit of digging I came across PDF elements which has an editing and OCR capability.
I'm wondering if anyone is using PDF elements and how satisfied they are.
Ideally, I would like to send them this sample pdf that Acrobat 9 won't handle to see if PDF elements will.
I would download the trial version but unfortunately it has OCR disabled - and OCR capabilities is really what I'm most interested in.

·
Premium Member
15,678 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,776 Posts
I note there could be a piece of Malware included (MacUpdate Desktop) should you click the Install now button.

You can find PDF OCR X Community directly from the developer here:
https://solutions.weblite.ca/pdfocrx/

Or it can be found in the AppStore. Will give this one a try in the near future.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I just tried PDF OCR X
Does a pretty good job - however I would really like to have one application that does both OCR and pdf text editing.

I already have so many applications on my Mac and am trying to reduce the number.

BTW - the "free" PDF OCR X only lets you do one page....which is fine for testing how good the application works.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I downloaded the trial version of PDF elements pro.

Don't like the user interface at all.
It's even worse than Acrobat, and Acrobat is not the greatest.
The UI of elements reminds me too much of the old Windows systems - not intuitive at all.
Maybe if I read through the user guide that would help.
But....
tried a few things.
Editing text worked fine as far as I could tell with my limited testing.
But when exporting a pdf to Excel, I ended up with different size fonts even though the pdf uses all the same font.
Then I tried exporting the same pdf page to pages - ended up with a pages document thast had more ??? than letters/numbers
The document I tried exporting was a single page of five-digit product numbers and product descriptions - something very basic.

So bottom line - I will pass.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, turned out pdf elements screwed up my scanner - well not permanently, but

First image capture which I normally use, couldn't connect to the scanner.
A message came up that image capture was in use by pdf elements even though I had closed pdf elements hours ago.
Not only that, I never even used the scanner with pdf-e, ll the testing with pdf-e was done using pdf files I had on the Mac
To get image capture associated with the scanner again, I actually had to remove pdf-e from the dock.

And then I found out that pdf-e changed a whole bunch of scanner settings
Resolution was changed from 300 dpi to 50 dpi
Automatic size detection of the image was disabled
The name of the scan which was Telegram before had been changed to "scan"
And - get this one - the "scan to" folder still showed the folder I had set up on the desktop but the scan wasn't saved there, it actually ended up in the Mac's picture folder.

·
Premium Member
15,678 Posts
Well, turned out pdf elements screwed up my scanner - well not permanently, but

What is the actual name of this "pdf elements" application you're using called???

I can't find any Mac application by that name at any of the usual Mac software places or with a web search.

It sounds like something to be avoided.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's pdfelements 6 pro (pdf elements is one word - sometimes PDF is capitalized)

The team who created this seems to be quite proud.

I have never seen a detailed listing like that under "about" for any other application.
I think I will go back and check if they gave either a bug listing or a means to report problems. I found an awful lot in the little time I spent with the product.

We at Wondershare create an array of simple software solutions for life's everyday challenges. Since our inception in 2003, we've been serving millions of customers in over 150 countries with a commitment to providing a diversity of superb software products and services that brings simplicity to people's lives.
For more information about Wondershare and Wondershare Products, please visit: www.wondershare.com
The whole team that created this product:
Product Management
Allen Dai, Nelson Lee, Woody Yin, Patrick Yuk
Programming
Wade Chen, David Yu, Brian Yang, Lonly Lee, Shannon Lee, Darren Xu, Richard Lee, Jim Du, Zhijia Zhong
Quality Engineering
Caroline Peng, Bruce Zhan, Tommy Cai
UI/UX Design
Shaan Jahagirdar, Koko Lee, Mariam Khan, Paul Methot
Marketing and Support
Mavis Xu, Stella Hu, Daphne Yang, Chad Yi, Jenny Huang, Maggie Chow, Shelley Xie, Xiaobing Chen, Renate Huang, Jessie Li, Ray Bai, Julian Ertelt, Emily Byrne, Faisal Khan
Special Thanks to all our Contributors
Adam Pez
Supporting Technology Suppliers
This software includes ABBYY® FineReader® Engine 11 recognition technologies © 2013, ABBYY Production LLC. ABBYY and FINEREADER are either registered trademarks or trademarks of ABBYY Software Ltd.

·
Premium Member
15,678 Posts
The team who created this seems to be quite proud.
That's a bit of an understatement eh??? :eek:

I also get a chuckle out of their disclosure and see mt comment and recommendation about Abby FineReader above:
This software includes ABBYY® FineReader® Engine 11 recognition technologies
As for the company itself, I'd have my suspicions and you can checkout some hits yourself:
Review Wondershare
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=3OqrWv-YEeze8Aeim6y4AQ

I hope you don't need support or a refund, but maybe your luck will be better from what these users experienced:
https://ca.trustpilot.com/review/wondershare.net

PS: If you have ever bought a scanner, or even one included with any AIO printer, have a look at their software if the company supplies any, as some have OCR included and isn't too bad as well as other stuff it can do.

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a copy of ABBYY Fine Reader with a fancy Epson scanner I bought but it's a power PC version and won't run on my present Mac.
That OCR software is also a few releases further than what seems to be included in that latest version of pdf-e.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts