ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about installing it since it seems some features in mavericks (iCloud keychain, communication between maps) work with it? Is it stable?

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
It's mostly stable, but there have been a few unwanted restarts. Mostly, it seems, while pushing the home button mid-animation.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
I installed it... Twice actually, but ended up downgrading back to 6.1.4.

On a fresh install it was working fairly good for a 1st beta, though it is definitely still a first beta and I would not recommend using it on your primary device yet.

However my second install was to test using it with a restored backup... not nearly as smooth as the fresh install, much more laggy and was getting lots of unwanted restarts (not technically full restarts, more resprings). So I decided to revert back as I was on my primary device, which I need to be a little more stable. I'll likely wait till beta 2 to play around with it some more, though it will take some willpower to resist the temptation to reinstall it before then.

In my mind the MASSIVE changes to iOS were by far the highlight of the WWDC keynote, though the other thread about WWDC was dominated by Mac Pro discussion so I'm not sure how many people agree with me. ;)

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Turned off the parallax effect (reduce motion) and the choppiness is reduced significantly. Hopefully everything is working more smoothly by GM. Oh and I'm on a 4S

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's been working very well for me. It's the first beta 1 I've installed on my main phone. Couldn't resist. Only a couple of weird quirks have popped up, had one random restart, Siri has been off and on, and I've only really run into glaring issues in various 3rd party apps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Podcasts are not syncing for me. Had some typing glitches in iMessage that I needed to reboot to fix. Turning Siri on seems backwards to me as a cancel message comes up when you slide it on. Turning keychain on seems strange too. But, it's a beta, need to expect that things aren't working right yet.

Mail seems to work great. The weather app is really nice. Notifications look good too.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
So I caved to temptation, though in this case 3rd time seems to have been the charm. This time I did it via the update instead of restore process and it seems to be working better in terms of stability, still have intermittent crashes but not as bad as my first 2 installs. There's a lot of really good changes, can't wait to see the final build.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I installed and did a restore.

Works OK. No major problems.
Some restarts, screen dim problem, headphone controls not working and a few more things.

Generally, I like it so much I'm willing to put up with a few problems.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'm actually curious about this. Have never installed a beta and would totally do it in this case. I gather you're not all devs here?? How do I go about this? I back up regularly so I don't feel too worried about the install. Wondering how I would go about a downgrade though...

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Downgrade is pretty simple, though it does require doing a fresh install of iOS 6 via DFU mode and then restoring your data from your backup. You can find step by step instructions via google.

As for non-dev use of the beta, it is technically a no-no and a LOT of people here get their panties in a knot whenever that sort of thing is discussed on these boards (torrents, jailbreaking, etc) so I won't go into details, but it is very cheap and easy to do... again Google is your friend.

Personally I see no issue with technically minded end users using the beta, as long as they are aware of the risks and challenges it represents; it WILL be buggy, it WILL crash (a LOT in early betas like this one), and there WILL be apps that don't work with it yet (either partially or at all).

This is all a result of the main purposes of beta software: 1) Find and fix bugs 2) Allow developers early access to update apps to be compatible with it. That said the more people that are using the software and reporting bugs (along with relevant diagnostic info) the better in terms of getting bugs ironed out.

Just be aware of what you are getting yourself into in terms of bugs, and don't freak out and post bad reviews of your favourite app that refuses to even run... dev's are not allowed to post apps that have been updated for the new OS until much closer to final release. So be prepared to live without incompatible apps until the fall.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a dev account, I don't however have a dedicated phone. That's why I was curious.. In looking back, I should have just made this a poll.

The mods can close this if they want.. I got the answer I was looking for. Thanks :) From now on, I'm under NDA.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
My coworker has iOS7 on his iPhone 5. Absolutely stunning, I can't wait until it officially comes out.

·
peek-a-boo
16,099 Posts
Have a dev acct. but hasn't had a spare phone to try it in( rely on mine too much to put up with restarts etc)

But got a 5 now so wonder if I should put it on the 4 I still have for fun.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Have a dev acct. but hasn't had a spare phone to try it in( rely on mine too much to put up with restarts etc)

But got a 5 now so wonder if I should put it on the 4 I still have for fun.
At this point I'd wait for beta 2 to put it on the 4 to play around with, only because I'd bet it'll be out this week as it's been 2 weeks since beta 1 came out.

I'd be interested to see the performance on a 4... it's still fairly laggy on a 5 so I'm betting it would be even worse on a 4...

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Also installed and up and running, seems to be a pretty big step forward in terms of stability and responsiveness, for me at least.

The bug that was most problematic for me seems to have been fixed. Had to do with the multi-tasking, specifically the app switcher in beta 1 could fairly reliably force a re-spring for me, either while force closing apps, or switching between them.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OMG I heard about this site that lets people register their UDID and get the betas.. I guess good on them for doing it.. they find a loophole, exploiit it as much as you can I guess. Me, I'm happy with paying the developers fee.
I was reading the comments from people on it.. I've never seen so many idiots ever.. "I have iOS 7.. now what do I do?" or "I downloaded Mavericks, and it crashes my machine! WHat a piece of trash"
Am I really that spoiled belonging to a group that actually KNOWS what the meaning of BETA is? :D

1 - 20 of 60 Posts