Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to get one after my POS Epson won't let me print in black and white because it thinks my colour cartridge is empty (only used colour twice since I got it!)!!

I'm looking at a laser printer that will print in black and white for a very long time. I would also like it to print on both sides of the paper, or be easy to get the printed page and insert it into the machine again.

Anything like this in the $300-400 range?

·
Registered
363 Posts
i just got a brother hl-1435. it's performed extremely well over the course of my brief ownership. it'd be easy, albeit a bit time consuming, to take the printed page off the top and hand feed it in the front for double sided printing. it's one of the cheapest lasers around.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would suggest staying away from a cheap laserprinter. If you are not willing to spend close to $1000.00 +/- then it's really not worth your while. You will most likely find that your new laser printer (that is probably USB based) will crap out, have frequent paper jams, and just plain suck when it comes to quality and reliable printing.

My thoughts. I like Lexmark personally. I have an Optra 1650 and it has never once given me a problem. At the time it ran me about $3000.00 but I am sure they make the newer ones today probably start in the high hundreds or low thousands.

Have you seen those 4400DPI HP Colour Laserjets for $1200.00? Think they are reliable and that the cost justifies the product? Think again. They may be nice at first but just like your epson, you will get the same results.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Good, cheap laser printers are a reality! Really.

I love my Samsung ML-1210, which I got at Staples in Feb '03 for about $250. Absolutely flawless, stellar performance ever since. Check out my review at epinions.com.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would suggest staying away from a cheap laserprinter. If you are not willing to spend close to $1000.00 +/- then it's really not worth your while. You will most likely find that your new laser printer (that is probably USB based) will crap out, have frequent paper jams, and just plain suck when it comes to quality and reliable printing.
I wouldn't necessarily agree that cheap laser printers are problematic. I've got a Samsung ML-1430, which is basically the updated version of the ML-1210 that sinjin owns, and I've yet to have any problems (other than slightly skewed printing, only noticeable when printing a page with a border).

At the time, I was considering purchasing an HP Laserjet 1200 (which I've used at the office and is an absolute workhorse, printing thousands of pages without a problem), but it was a bit more than I wanted to spend (about $500 for the HP versus $230 for the Samsung). For the price, you really couldn't find anything better than the ML-1430 (12 ppm, 600dpi, fast warm up time, USB interface, 8 megs RAM, PC & Mac compatibility, toner save mode, cheap toner cartridges - $89).

If you can afford it, go for the HP Laserjet 1300 which is the updated version of the 1200, and features 1200x1200 dpi printing, 16 megs RAM, 15 ppm. It's also networkable via an optional ethernet card (expensive) and I believe you can even buy a duplexing unit for it. It's on sale at Futureshop right now for $481.99 after rebate.

Adam

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Samsungs are looking good right now. I don't mind the manual duplexing either...as long as the print is legible!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts