ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one use WIND MOBILE? I live in Windsor and I am thinking of moving from Rogers. They seem to have well costed plans. Anyone have an experiences...good or bad.

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
Any one use WIND MOBILE? I live in Windsor and I am thinking of moving from Rogers. They seem to have well costed plans. Anyone have an experiences...good or bad.
Been using WIND since early 2010, shortly after they opened up. Very happy with them.

You can't get an iPhone with them, but that doesn't bother me. I previously used a dumbphone, now use a Blackberry, and that works fine.

When I first started with them, there were definitely shaky spots in service. That has largely subsided, though I almost never get service if I am in a basement, even when the larger companies will usually work there. On the other hand, they gave me a credit for being an early switcher, so for (at the time) $5 a month for the first 5 months of service, I could easily cope with some shaky spots--and they called me a few weeks after they'd solved the problem to ask if I was still having issues or not.

US Roaming is really good (on T-Mobile)... and cheap. Not that I need that a lot, but it's definitely nice to have. Was similarly able to use my phone without much trouble in Europe. No problems in Vancouver either.

Customer service when I first started with them was excellent; now it's probably more like pretty good.

All together, I'm sticking with them.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
For what it's worth, all of our clients that were on WIND for one reason or another have since moved off, for a few reasons - coverage is crappy, random BES issues and horrid customer service.

I wouldn't recommend them at all.

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
i heard on 680 either wind or one of the small guys is being bought up by the big 3.. Welcome to Canada.. the home of price fixing and monopoly..
stick with one of the big, if you have cable or tv with them at least you can bundle and save 20%

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
I don't have experience with them myself, but all my friends that "experimented" with them quickly switched away... mainly due to crappy coverage here in Ottawa (esp in the suburbs). Can't really speak to what the coverage would be like in Windsor. I would say give them a try and see how it is there, BUT several of my friends had such a difficult time cancelling their service I'd say stay far far away....

Also, the deal you likely heard about was Telus buying Mobilicity... it hasn't been approved (yet) by the CRTC, but it's likely to be as Mobilicity is losing money at such a fast rate they will go bankrupt and shut down if they aren't bought out by someone soon... and the other new entrants are not faring much better... I'd expect all to be bought out in relatively short order, none of them have managed to attract enough customers to cover the basic fixed costs of building and running the networks much less actually turn a profit...

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Also, the deal you likely heard about was Telus buying Mobilicity... it hasn't been approved (yet) by the CRTC, but it's likely to be as Mobilicity is losing money at such a fast rate they will go bankrupt and shut down if they aren't bought out by someone soon... and the other new entrants are not faring much better... I'd expect all to be bought out in relatively short order, none of them have managed to attract enough customers to cover the basic fixed costs of building and running the networks much less actually turn a profit...
WIND is also up for sale.

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
The way Canada is set up, we will never have a fair playing field for any outside competition.. so stick with the big 3..

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
I've learned over the past few years that it's well worth calling Rogers and asking to speak to the retention department every so often, because they're CONSTANTLY changing their deals and if you tell them you're thinking of moving to someone else or aren't happy with your plan, they will, in all likelihood, come up with something better/cheaper (or both). We have all our services with them - here in Toronto and also now at our cottage (just switched from Bell - internet there was a horrid, capped, 6MBps tops and I hate satellite TV) so we've got the bundled discounts, which helps.

I just called them a couple of days ago because my son had gone way over his minutes (again) on the iPhone plan he had - the one from last summer with 6GB of data. Well, dontcha know, they've gone and changed the plans on offer yet again, and have finally seen fit to offer plans that are a little like the US plans, with unlimited minutes and unlimited nationwide LD. We reduced his data to 4GB and for a dollar more than we were paying before, the problem is solved. Unlimited texting, talk and LD. I did the same with my plan, though reduced the data a bit more to 2 GB since I've never come close to using that in the past 9 months since I got it.

So give 'em a call - you could well find they can offer you a better deal.

·
Premium Member
9,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx all, it seems that anyone I've talked to indicates that WIND, while cheap, is dreadful in customer service, and you must really watch your phones when calling outside your call-pod, even though their maps indicate you are in the pod. The most consistent advice is call Rogers and demand a better plan or we'll move..... my son, also, has done this and he now has a workable plan, so I'm taking the route suggested by Paddy and others.....

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanx all, it seems that anyone I've talked to indicates that WIND, while cheap, is dreadful in customer service, and you must really watch your phones when calling outside your call-pod, even though their maps indicate you are in the pod. The most consistent advice is call Rogers and demand a better plan or we'll move..... my son, also, has done this and he now has a workable plan, so I'm taking the route suggested by Paddy and others.....
I've been with Wind for 3 years. Service has improved greatly over that time - both in coverage and customer service. The money I have saved has more than made up for a call or 2 that may have been made in a Wind zone but was mistakenly charged as roaming. My family bill from Rogers (5 lines) was well over $400/month. With Wind, we have unlimited data and calls and no stress for an average of $120.00/month.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts