Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Thanks for that link. I imported the pantone library for solid and uncoated. It was pretty simple, not sure why Affinity would not just release it properly if it is that easy to import.

Just noticed that when I export a test file to PDF or EPS that it converts the pantone colour, which again makes it useless. If you cannot print or save a file with the colour info intact, whats the point of using a pantone colour at all? Maybe I have missed something and it can be done, but my poking around did not reveal anything. The colour spaces you can work in and save are CMYK, RGB, Grayscale and Lab.

Close but no cigar, hopefully they keep pushing this app with updates to bring it up to some industry standards.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Affinity is long past the beta stage at this point, so I thought it made sense to give folks an update. I used Photoshop CS3 for several years until Adobe stopped license support a few years ago. At that point is was really pissed off, so started using an older hacked version of CS2. I also was using Photoshop Elements on a PC, as well as doing a bit with Gimp. Earlier this year I downloaded a trial version of Affinity Photo, as well as Krita, for experimentation. I got a message from Affinity Photo in May that they were having a 50% off sale, so I bought a license for $40 Can (all in including taxes). This is a long term license, not a one year version like Adobe. The other nice thing is that you can install it on more than one of your own personal computers. There are both Mac and Windows versions, but the license is good for either one or the other, not both. Unfortunately, the sale has now ended, but the regular price is still only $75 Can, so it's still a lot cheaper than Photoshop Elements.

I would say that Affinity is very close the the full Adobe Photoshop in terms of features and performance, and significantly better than Photoshop Elements. If you want to get out of the Adobe rut, then this would be a great option in my opinion. Keep in mind that I'm speaking as a hobbyist, and not as a pro user that makes a living at this stuff.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts