Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Hi there, I don't own an ipod YET..but this does bother me now that I know this...and it does irritate me that it costs almost the same price as a new ipod! so it apple making throw away ipods? like printers when they run out of ink? cheaper to buy a new printer...this is one bad area for apple...and I hope they change before I spend the cash...Mark

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Ya I thought that was kinda funny. I don't think the majority are like that and Apple has changed the policy so replacement batteries are much cheaper. Also they have Applecare now.

I did have a couple customers feel the same way this guy did when their batteries died :(

·
Premium Member
7,066 Posts
motoyen - Yes and no. It depends on how much you used the battery, how hard you pushed it, and general luck. As with any product some last longer then expected, and some last a little shorter. So some people who drove their iPod batteries hard since they first got them when they were released 2 years ago, the batteries have since died. Although 3rd party batteries have become more and more available, and Apple has an official battery replacement program now.

·
Premium Member
6,788 Posts
and it does irritate me that it costs almost the same price as a new ipod!

I am not sure if they recorded their call to Apple Support or made up their own, but either way having the battery replaced costs $99 USD.

Not exactly cheap, but not $250 either.

Either way, maybe just asking "how long will the battery last" would have prevented this? 18 months is fairly typical of a Lion battery. There are usage habits that can lengthen that time, but it will die eventually.

--PB

·
Registered
27 Posts
Couldn't get the movie, broken icon, although I can guess what it was about. I got a first generation iPod as a gift. It lasted 16 months and then functioned no longer. It wasn't a battery problem, but was told by Apple that it would cost about $400 to fix. The Apple tech guy admitted to me that I would be better off buying a new one than sending that one off to get repaired. Outraged, I sent off a letter to Apple, never got a reply.

I hate to say this but I have since bought a new one, I love the product and I'm keeping my fingers crossed once the warranty expires.

Call me foolish...

·
Registered
401 Posts
I just picked up a used RCA Lyra HD. It's got 20 gigs of storage plus a user replaceable lion battery. Not bad for $200.

The more I try other products the more I realize it's not that bad buying non-apple products. Especially when it leaves me with money in my pocket.

One caveat though... I was forced to "fix" all my mp3s to successfully use the Lyra. It seems that it only supports v2 id3 tags.

At least I was able to let it run overnight. Now it's running like a top.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
It was after I bought an iPod that I learned that the batteries were not officially replaceable (at the time) and that they would last less than 3 years. I figured it was a bad investment then and sold it to get money to buy a digital camera. I have a Palm m505 - same issue; so the iPod was just one too many expensive things whose batteries would eventually die and need surgery to replace. The other thing was that the Belkin Tunecast was pretty useless in the Toronto area because of all the radio stations. If it wasn't for those things I would have held on to the iPod, because it is an awesome product to use - truly revolutionary.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I can't imagine buying an extended warranty for close to a $100. Chances are very slim that the battery will die within two years in any case, but I simply bought my iPod on a Platinum CC and the warranty doubles for free. If you buy the replacement battery from a third party, it is closer to $50 US.

I can't think of too many products where buying extended warranties pay off... The companies love them, they are pure profit margin.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Yeah I saw the vid and tought it was disgracefull how Apple could have a replacement part worth almost as much as a new unit, although now there are cheaper replacement alternatives it still doesn't excuse Apple from what happened.

I bought my Fiance a 64mb RCA Kazoo with a 256mb expansion card for her birthday last year and so far no probs it's smaller than an iPod it takes normal AA battery's and she listens to music all day, mission acomplished. Showed my Finace an iPod the other day at Best Buy she liked the look but tought it was too big. The only bonus I like about the the iPod is actually having an extra hard drive when I need it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.