Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My dad could possibly looking into a iBook/Powerbook G4 for his school. He is a band teacher here in Calgary, and thanks to the ever popular Calgary board of Ed. :mad: when they upgraded their PC's to Windows 2000 Pro, the software they had became uncompatible, cause it had problems detecting the MIDI. When I told my dad about soundtrack/garageband and showed him the iLife '04 video, he was extremly impressed. I was just wondering if anybody here has really good things to say about either program. Also, if anyone has used these products on a DP or SP 1.25 GHz MDD G4, they might be using this computer until they save for a good 17" Powerbook

Thanx All

Eric

P.S. He would be connecting a keyboard to this computer.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
GarageBand is only available as of tomorrow (Jan 16), so you will have to wait a day or two before folks can get a real feel for it.

I have only seen a demo of Soundtrack, but it looks really easy to understand and use.

Hold out for GarageBand though...it will likely do most of what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
From what I've read, if you are connecting a keyboard and using MIDI, GarageBand is the one to use, not Soundtrack. In Soundtrack, the only MIDI support is timing information for synchronizing with other programs. In contrast, GarageBand records MIDI, and includes over 50 software instruments that can be controlled by your keyboard. Be aware, though, that GarageBand will not output MIDI, i.e. it will not take control of your keyboard, it is MIDI-in, audio-out. Some people like to output MIDI to other hardware devices that contain huge sound libraries or cause their keyboard to play it's own built-in sounds; for this you would need other software such as ProTools LE or Cubase SL.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
I have a FP iMac, I would like to buy something cheap, if possible, to allow audio in. I would like to be able to plug my midi keyboard as well as plug my guitar. What is the easiest and cheapest way of doing this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts