Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an EyeTV 250 (refurbished) for $150US. Shipping (UPS Expidited) was a whopping $44 and includes their rediculous handling fee.

I'm just wondering if I should expect any more 'surprises' when the package gets here (i.e. customs, duties, additional shipping crap).

Has anyone used their online store and have good/bad tales to tell?

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
I think the worst thing about your Elgato ordering experience will be the UPS part of it. Many of us ehMac'ers avoid them like the plague.

Is an EyeTV 250 hard to find in Canada?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Some UPS services include brokerage already, so all you will have is the sales taxes. You can call them with the tracking no. and ask them how hard they will hit.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
It's not in stock. Hit the Check Stock button.

But there are other places to find it in Canada. Mostly Digital : EyeTV 250
It's not in stock no but they will get it from a supplier within 2-5 business days, I've ordered not in stock items and they've always gotten it in within the time frame. If you didn't read the "Usually Available in 2-5 Days" portion.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
It's in stock at Synnex (wholesaler) so pretty much any Apple dealer or local store can order it in for you.

(FWIW Mostly Digital's 'stock' numbers are nothing more than a lookup at Synnex's inventory - if it is not listed as London Store, then they order it in like everybody else, NCIX included)

$44 US is about right for UPS Expedited. You won't have brokerage charges, but you will pay GST, provincial tax if applicable, and probably a $5 to $7 disbursememnt fee -- all payable to UPS. If you went UPS ground you'd pay about US$15 shipping but then approx $30 in brokerage in addition to the taxes and disbursement.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The deal was just too good to give up. It was a refurb (with same guaranty) and even *with* all the shipping, the system was about $50-$60CAN below the lowest Canadian prices.

I'll get it, do those 15 damned videotapes and, if I don't get lazy, just sell it to get the smaller EyeTV Hybrid when the time is right.

I buy local when I can (and it's within 10% or $20, whichever is less) than online, online retailer when the price is right or the delivery time is less than my local restocking time and direct from the manufacturer if the price is really good (as in this case) or the manufacturer is Canadian.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To finish off this thread and make it dead, here are the charges I got from FedEx when I went to pick the unit up just a while ago:

$4.89 GST
$5.70 PST

$7.00 rodfee (I guess it's FedEx's charge for shuffling paperwork)
$.042 GST
========
$18.01
========

Total cost: $227.54CAN

Yeah. I'm happy with that :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Betty, you have noticed already - Elgato has switched to Fed Ex after receiving numerous complaints about UPS' handling fees. There is now an inexpensive FedEx "Ground" option for Canadian customers. Happy shopping!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts