ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got buddies set up that are just waiting for me to be able to video conference with me.. and v4.01 just won't do it!

Microsoft has publicly declared that a new version of MSN would be out for the Mac by mid-year.. but I haven't seen or heard anything on it lately.

Please don't Microsoft bash me.. I'm just wondering if anyone knows when the new version is due to be released!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I can remember it being hinted to by the Microsoft representitive at the WWDC keynote, but i dont think anyone has a speicifc date yet.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i heard "August" somewhere...

just search MacRumors.com and AppleInsider.com

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
Apologies to Mac_Geek: Off topic

I don't want to hijack this thread, but anyone also care to hazard a guess as to the release date of Tiger 10.4.2?

I'm gettin' all antsy like.

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
mac_geek said:
I've got buddies set up that are just waiting for me to be able to video conference with me.. and v4.01 just won't do it!

Microsoft has publicly declared that a new version of MSN would be out for the Mac by mid-year.. but I haven't seen or heard anything on it lately.

Please don't Microsoft bash me.. I'm just wondering if anyone knows when the new version is due to be released!
Don't hold your breath. Microsoft likely won't even release video for the next release either. Solutions are becoming better however. Check out aMSN, amsn.sourceforge.net . They just released a beta version which allows video http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewtopic.php?t=3211&sid=14c0997cc7b77045db70dff9dc9aa8ab.

As well as Mercury messenger.

There are other alternatives as well.. sign up for AIM accounts or Yahoo Accounts. Easiest way to have a video conference with PC users. AIM is very good, especially when you are using iChat. Yahoo's video is horrid... but none the less, there is video.

·
Registered
968 Posts
mac_geek said:

You wont get video in the next release of MSN Messenger for the Mac.

What will be available?
  1. Display Pictures, just like MSN Messenger 6 & 7 for Windows.
  2. Conversations show your buddy's display picture in the conversation
  3. Display Pictures can be seen in the dock to the right of a conversation window.
  4. You will be able to recieve custom emoticons but not create, store or send your own.
  5. Indirect file transfers will be available, this should solve file transfer issues.
  6. Companies can use Messenger 5 for Mac to connect to their LCS.
  7. You can chat with a maximum of 15 persons in the same conversation
  8. New Brushed Metal interface.
  9. Tabbed Buddy List.
  10. Improved Conversation History with more control and integration into Office:mac 2004
  11. New Name for MSN Messenger for Mac - now known as Microsoft .NET Messenger for Mac

What still wont be available?

1. Webcam Support (not expected till 2006 in Messenger 6 for Mac)
  2. Audio Conversations
  3. Send Custom Emoticons
  4. Animated Emoticons
  5. Backgrounds, packs, games, winks etc...
  6. Ink Messaging

Trev

·
Registered
28 Posts
The games will never work on a mac since they are ActiveX - windows only.

without video AND audio, IMO, any msn upgrade is a waste of time.

TrevX said:
You wont get video in the next release of MSN Messenger for the Mac.

What will be available?
  1. Display Pictures, just like MSN Messenger 6 & 7 for Windows.
  2. Conversations show your buddy's display picture in the conversation
  3. Display Pictures can be seen in the dock to the right of a conversation window.
  4. You will be able to recieve custom emoticons but not create, store or send your own.
  5. Indirect file transfers will be available, this should solve file transfer issues.
  6. Companies can use Messenger 5 for Mac to connect to their LCS.
  7. You can chat with a maximum of 15 persons in the same conversation
  8. New Brushed Metal interface.
  9. Tabbed Buddy List.
  10. Improved Conversation History with more control and integration into Office:mac 2004
  11. New Name for MSN Messenger for Mac - now known as Microsoft .NET Messenger for Mac

What still wont be available?

1. Webcam Support (not expected till 2006 in Messenger 6 for Mac)
  2. Audio Conversations
  3. Send Custom Emoticons
  4. Animated Emoticons
  5. Backgrounds, packs, games, winks etc...
  6. Ink Messaging

Trev

1 - 8 of 8 Posts