Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about upgrading my Pismo 500 with either the 550 from Daystar or Fastmac.

Given that my G3 is already a 500, is it worth it for the G3 to G4 change? Does anyone know if a faster upgrade (maybe a G4 867) is planned by any companies for the Pismo?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
it would probably be more cost effective for you to buy one of the new g4 ibooks unless you are stuck in OS 9.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I have a customer that did the G3 900MHz upgrade. Powerlogix

He is loving it. Only problem he has encountered so far is iChat AV. It only sees the processor as a 500MHz so it won't work at high qaulity. Powerlogix is apparently working on a fix.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Are you still thinking of doing this? I'd be interested to hear how it goes...

I've heard negative things about Powerlogix in the customer service dept.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
My customer was just in again today. Powerlogix released a fix so it now is recognised as a G3 900. iChat now works perfect. He has been using it for almost a month with no problems. He did buy on of my fan stands because it runs pretty hot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There's probably not an easy answer to this - but what would yield a better-performing pismo - a G4 550 upgrade or a G3 900 upgrade?

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
There's probably not an easy answer to this - but what would yield a better-performing pismo - a G4 550 upgrade or a G3 900 upgrade?
I think the Digital_Gary link says it all,
Go with the G3 900.

G3 900

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I didn't really do any major tests or anything but I played around on his G3 900 for a few minutes. It didn't seem much slower than my 1GHz AlBook :eek:
For average day to day use, I'd go with the G3 900.
When you get into Photoshop etc, I don't really know how much faster it would be than the G4 550 but I am sure it would still come out on top.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
My trusty old Pismo is one of the ones with a built-in firmware problem that won't let it run OSX. It's stuck in the world of 9. Not like that's a bad thing...but it would definitely be great to bring it up to speed. (all my software is OSX stuff and I love my G4 powermac, which is what I use all the time nowadays).

Will a processor upgrade let me use my Pismo again?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts