Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The G5s are not shipping yet, so no-one has one yet. The only G5s out are demo models that Apple and a few select software developers have.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i really want a g5 and will get one. i would just like to know, does anyone out there have one yet, and how do you like it?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
No one in Canada has one personally. There might be a few sample around at Apple Canada, but surely nothing that can be said. I've seen website around the globe that have used/tried the G5 and most of the reviews are stunning.

You'll have to wait till the end of the month to try one yourself...

RtC

·
Canadian By Choice
117,498 Posts
A Mac person here in St. John's mentioned in passing that he heard (so this is now third-hand info) that there was an surge in orders of the G5 2GHz Macs, and less of the 1.8 single processor. He mentioned that he heard that Mac might bring out a dual 1.8GHz model to bridge the gap, in that there were prioritized wait-lists for the 2GHz. I have preordered the 2GHz dual, but it has been suggested by our tech people that it might not come until late Sept/early Oct. We shall see.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hi Doc,

A 1.8 dual G5?
That's a new rumor I haven't heard.
Sounds like a good idea, but I'm dubious, considering the Apple claims of processor-specific engineering of the case.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,498 Posts
jtmac, I don't follow the rumour sites and I openly admitted that this is now third-hand info. I have more faith in the forewarning about the longer than expected delay, since that makes sense given the reality that many (as I did) actually saw the 2GHz as the best buy for the dollar. We shall see.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think you are right.
I'm sure that the G5 will start shipping as promised.
How can Apple ever meet the huge demand for the dual 2.0 without keeping some waiting?
I hope it's not yours!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,498 Posts
jtmac, I don't view rumour sites, nor does John (the person who told me about this possibility). However, I have been told (forewarned???) by the folks in the computer purchasing center here at MUN not to be disappointed with a longer than expected wait. Sadly, we are at the end of the milk run here in St.John's. Granted, location should not be the dictating factor, but I can envision other persons with a more pressing need for these computers (e.g., the folks at Pixar) than yours truly.

I have waited two years for this purchase, so what's another month or two? We shall see.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Actually, the more I think about it, a dual G5 1.8 sounds pretty sweet.
Only 10% less speed for hundreds less.
Am I dreaming?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,498 Posts
jtmac, I can't say if you're dreaming or not re this matter. Nor am I able to say if the 10% reduction in processing power is all that relevant. We shall see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts