Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Canuck of Enlightenment
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Macbook and was thinking of playing with Linux. Just curious if anyone else has tried it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have seen and played with it a little, I don't recall which version it was. There was a neat feature where you can have multiple desktops just like the one Leopard is suppose to get, "Spaces". It does have a "Windows" feel to it.

·
Canuck of Enlightenment
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just tried ubuntu live cd 6.06. So far it is very stable, not quite feature rich, but it does come with some good programs. An office suite, somthing that did not with my mac! I like neo office so I was already familiar with it, closer to open office.

One thing I did notice the desktop picture was very familiar (default OS X desktop, only brown). Once it loaded, it was very snappy and responsive. I only played for about an hour, but I was impressed.

Though I am not willing to give up on OS X!! It looks like a great alternative to Windows. In one thread it said that linux looked like a mix of Os 9 and windows. To that I would have to agree 100%. Very clean interface and easy to use.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have "played" with Ubuntu for a short time. The problem I found was that I could not find drivers for my printer. Without a printer it is just a "toy".

I browsed the internet, sent and received emails. I used Open Office for word processing. If I wanted to print out anything I would have to email myself on my main PC.

I have it loaded on PC #3. It's there just in case something goes wonky with my main beast. I actually have 3 PC's hooked up. I just like to get some old systems working. Some day my grandson will want to use a computer. I will have one set up with kiddies stuff.

Felix

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Before I switched to Macs, I ran all my PCs as dual boot system with Windows for productivity apps and games, and Linux for web/email/programming/geeking. That was back before OS X though, so my experience with Linux is far from current.

My impression is that some distros no longer require as much configuration, and for many purposes, once set up, they can be as easy to use as Macs (and obviously much cheaper if you don't count the cost of your set-up time).

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
I'm currently trying to use Ubuntu on my T20 but it's been a pain with the wireless card being knocked out during the 6.10 upgrade. If that doesn't work then I will go back to 5.10 or whatever it was.

Bryanc is right, if you have time to burn then it's worthwhile to give Linux a try but, if you don't, stick with OS X.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Way back in like 1999 I ran BeOS for kicks when they released the free version. I gave up on it when I literally had no software to run on it.

I think the same thing kept me away from Linux in the early days, though I know there's lots of software for it now. I just don't have the time.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
i set up an ubuntu linux box in my office to experiment with. did some admin work on it for about a month. open office is much better on linux - unfortunately, not much else is.

i found that as long as you stick to the software that comes with the distribution you'll be alright. the brilliant software repository system is poorly maintained and chock full of bugs. endless tinkering to accomplish the most basic things.

then the old pc died (not linux's fault).

i will likely try out the new Ubuntu Studio that was released a couple of days ago. Home | Ubuntu Studio

·
Registered
586 Posts
Ubuntu Rocks!

If I could find a decent unbranded laptop I would switch.
I agree, of corse it is not as good as Mac OS X but it is mutch better then the W word:lmao:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have been using Linux exclusively for the last six months or so, before switching back to OS X. The real appeal to Linux for me, was that everything was configurable. You could configure and change just about every aspect of it. Set it up to look and work like Windows, OS X or anything in between, and with Beryl you get some really amazing eye candy. Linux can be a lot of fun to play with but you need to learn a lot about the command line to be able to exploit it's full potential. And you need to spend a lot of time on various forums if you want to learn to do many basic things. In the end I switched back to OS X because everything just "works". I just couldn't find any suitable replacements for such things as Apple's iLife.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I've got Fedora Core 5 installed on a Dual G4 Power Mac, that I occasionally use as a desktop machine, but my main use of Linux is for dedicated servers.

My two main applications:

Firewall/web/file server.

MythTV video recorder/server - two machines, three sat recv'rs and 1.4 TB of storage!

·
Registered
993 Posts
I installed Ubuntu 7.10 just to play with on my mini in VMware. I had difficulty getting VMware tools to install, but I finally managed once I figured out how to expand them from the CD image, find the directory location of my Desktop where they were expanded to, and run the executable file with a Sudo command in the Terminal. Customizing the Desktop was straightforward except for figuring out where actual applications are stored in Linux. Same problem with enabling my shared Mac disk - couldn't find where Linux filed it. But I did both. Now I have two more things I haven't been able to figure out so far:
(1) How to make aliases (shortcuts) of files and folders
(2) How to enable the scroll wheel on my non-Apple mouse.
Anyone know how to do either? Also, does anyone know of a user-friendly stats program that runs on Linux?

Linux has some interesting features, but it's much less user-friendly than Mac OS X.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I guess I am the definitive result. I've been using Linux and Solaris (unix) since 1995, and I had my first BSD experience in 1999. I work for a unix training company with my father (who is the senior instructor, i am just a setup technician).

Having known how awesome linux and unix based systems are, I also know their flaws. I just got my first mac ever, and use it like a linux machine because it is BSD based at heart. I have 4 terminals open at all times.

All the pros linux has, osx has. The one major flaw of linux is the dependency / driver hell it has created for it self with its software design. Some distributions are on the verge of solving this problem with SuSE 10.3 introducing 1 click installer packes and Debians "apt" package system with the largest software database freely open to the public.

OSX dosn't have that problem with its self contained packages. As for the driver hell, mac actually uses a lot of open drivers, especially for printers. It uses the CUPS printer system along with cups drivers. My linux system takes me two hours to setup printing. OSX did it in 3 minutes using the same driver and printing system, the difference being the interface and default settings being the correct ones.

You may be fooled / temped to linux your mac, but the freely available software you'll find on a linux box often has an OSX version. The apple rep at futureshop asked me if I would like to purchase any software, and I laughed and told him I would use opensource stuff. Which I have stuck to using OpenOffice.org and Adium for my documents and chatting. If I need a solid paint system, ill install The Gimp.

Installing linux on a mac only really enables full access to a developer environment. Programming on the mac can get annoying with the Aqua desktop.

In other words, stick to OSX, your definitely not missing anything by switching to linux, and not really gaining anything either. Unless its absolutely necessary to run 100% GNU / GPL software.

·
Registered
203 Posts
For those of you who are interested in tinkering with Linux, one of the best and most informative podcasts that explains all of the basics for complete newbies to Linux is Linux Reality. Very informative podcast and a good website with a great forum as well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
While not as visually polished as OSX, there isn't a single thing that I miss by using Kubuntu Linux from my old eMac.

I can do everything that I could on my Apple plus I didn't have to shell out too much money for an under powered machine. If Apple comes out with a proper consumer desktop that can actually be upgraded thoroughly by the user, I'd consider going back. Until, that day, I'm thrilled to be able to change components whenever I want to whatever I want and retain all the functionality that I ever had under Tiger.

·
Registered
20 Posts
for me it's the adobe apps. and i agree with your point about everything being configurable.
http://www.gimp.org is open source and very similar/equally as powerful as photoshop.

there's even http://gimpshop.com which is the GIMP program with the menus altered (as much as possible) to mirror adobe's photoshop. (incase you wanted to give it another shot)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.