Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I confess, I am a convert to the dvorak keyboard mapping. I've been using it as my primary mapping at work and at home for at least a year. My speed is up 75 wpm - it used to be around 60 with Qwerty. I did a lot of practicing in the first couple months to get it up to 40wpm and it just naturally increased through normal use after that. I am a C programmer and wordy emailer, who always capitalizes and punctuates.
Just wondered if any other citizens have experience with Dvorak or use it regularly.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Y'know, I always wanted to use Dvorak. QWERTY has always been awkward.

Then again, that comes as no suprise since it was designed to slow typists down on old strike-the-ribbon-with-the-hammer typewriters at the turn of the century.

The question is, how would one adopt Dvorak? I guess you could just rip the keys out of your keyboard and replace them in the Dvorak layout, and use the "keyboards" control panel to set it. But is there any fomal training to use Dvorak, other than trial-and-error hunt-and-peck? Like a Mavis Beacon teaches Dvorak?

-SJ.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did most of my learning on a PC using TypingMaster, dvorak version. There are also some online tutors.
Once you are past the initial stage, using normal text is quite effective. This is because the difficult keys occur less frequently, unlike with Qwerty. (If you want to practice the difficult keys, use a Qwerty typing tutor and start at the beginning). The other key is that you never look at the keyboard. Use a piece of paper, taped to the lower edge of the monitor, until you don't need it anymore. Then when you want to learn the []{}.,;|\ stuff, write some code

Here's my keyboard:
`1234567890[]
',.pyfgcrl/=\
aoeuidhtns-
;qjkxbmwvz

And again, with the Shift key held down:
[email protected]#$%^&*(){}
"<>PYFGCRL?+|
AOEUIDHTNS_
:QJKXBMWVZ

Usually, ripping out keys and putting them in different places is a bad idea - they are not actually the same shape! I leave the keys as they are - I never look at them.

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
In OS X how to you switch to Dvorak?
Not only do I want to learn this method, I also want to screw up my roommate loL

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
never mind, i figured it out, though it took me 15 mins to type this message.
(The delete key is in the same place thank god!)

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
How is DVORAK superior to QWERTY?
I've heard/read that it is faster and more intuitive, but can someone explain why to me?
Thx in Advance!

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts
Spanish Joe referred to it briefly.
When typwriters were invented the operators quickly became more proficient than the "striking" arm/letter mechanism allowed. Originally the most frequent letters and combos were placed in the easiest locations for short distance and use. You can read lots on the web about it.
Rather than wait for the improved technology to over come the jamming, the idiots decided to "slow" the operators down by moving the easy access and combos to a less efficient layout = QWERTY.
So ever since we have been burdened with this very inefficient typing set. The differences in speed and "miles travelled" for typing between QWERTY and Dvorak is enormous.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macdoc:
Good for you. I cannot for the life of me understand why Dvorak is not mandatory at schools. If the country could go metric then the kids can finally get out of the stupid QUERTY keyboard. :mad:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, at least it would be nice if they presented the two choices. Wouldn't the world be wonderful if all the children grew up typing Dvorak on iBooks. Perhaps in the future ... nawh, somehow I hear Scotty, the Scottish Star Trek engineer saying disapprovingly, "a keyboarrrrd!?! How quaint."

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
So the suggestion to try a DVORAK keyboard is highly suggested? Hmm I'll have to try that... Also be great to keep your keyboard save from the people who don't know how to use DVORAK he he

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually yes, it is nice at work when someone is with you at your desk and starts to take over your computer.

:D

I was just checking again for typing tutors, and there is now one that does Qwerty and/or Dvorak on Mac OS X: Ten Thumbs.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
But I just memorized all the QWERTY keys!

Besides, I have to look at the keyboard when i type.. and i only use maybe 4 or 5 fingers. Occasionally a thumb and once, my nose (although in my defense, both hands were holding things...)

:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
To make my switch to Dvorak easier, I created a Dvorak Keyboard by taking my keyboard from my B&W G3 (The smaller keyboard) and re-arranging the keys into the Dvorak layout. It took some time, but it works beautiful!
I still have not had a chance to play with it though, been too busy and cannot take the time to relearn to type loL

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been using the Dvorak for about six years now, didn't do any re-arranging of keys, just posted a chart on the wall and looked at it while typing very VERY slowly. Took awhile but it worked!

Interestingly, I did not lose my ability to touchtype Qwerty. It takes a few tries, but I can switch over fairly quickly. I guess it's like knowing two languages.

Anyone else who uses multiple keyboard layouts notice a bug in OS X 10.2.4? Used to display a menu to switch them; now you need to go into the International settings, Inputs, uncheck and check one of the layouts. Menu appears, but after restart you have to do it all over.

It's a pain because my wife still uses qwerty. Luckily it defaults to her layout when the machine starts up or there'd be real trouble!

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
I just tried to type this message in the dvorak layout. It took a few minutes but I think I could get used to it.

It helps to have Keycaps open while typing.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heironymous,

Wow, another Dvorak user! I have not seen the problem you described. However, I have three mappings in my menu item in the menu bar: DV, DQ (Dvorak with Qwerty keyboard shortcuts) and US. Sometimes DQ disappears from the list and mysteriously comes back later. Overall I much prefer Mac's support for Dvorak over Windows - the switching back and forth works consistently on the Mac. At work I never switch back and forth anymore - I just refuse to let anyone type on my computer. At home on my Mac I switch to US when my fiance' uses the computer, and also when I play games like Warcraft III when I use left hand only on the keyboard. I used to use DQ because my Microsoft Internet Exploder mouse's driver and also Speech Commands got confused trying to execute keyboard shortcuts. The mouse has improved recently and I never use Speech Commands.
Even with these small annoyances, I'm addicted and I won't ever switch back to Qwerty on a regular basis even though switching back would be easy because like you said, it's like two languages - it just takes a few seconds to switch the brain circuits over.
So to all those silent masses secretly wondering: Is Dvorak worth the pain of switching? ---> Come, join the Dark Side. Together, we can rule the universe!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.