Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an external drive that launches fine on my Mac Mini but is looking for a password when I connect it to my MacBook pro.

Both Macs ar running the same OS, El Capitan.

I assume I originally had the password to open the hard drive on the Mini but can't remember for the life of me what it is now.

After I open the external drive on the Mini, is there any place I can check what the password is?
If I do a right click on the external (on my desktop) I have an option to "decrypt" that external. I suppose I could do that and then encrypt it again with a new password but I'm a bit hesitant to do that since I can't afford to somehow screw up the drive or the info on it.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
You can check Keychain Access, as if it loads on the Mac mini then the password should be saved in your Keychain.

If the drive is encrypted with File Vault, and you don't have the password, you will not be able to recover the data.

The decrypt option will require the password. The only alternative is to format the drive.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Copy the data off the drive from the Mac mini to something else, format drive, copy back.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can check Keychain Access, as if it loads on the Mac mini then the password should be saved in your Keychain.

If the drive is encrypted with File Vault, and you don't have the password, you will not be able to recover the data.

The decrypt option will require the password. The only alternative is to format the drive.
Thanks - Keychain gave me the password.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts