Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone had any news on the power supply replacement as far as Canadians are concerned. Originally promised to start shipping on Mar 10, there's no sign of anything so far.

Cheers

Sloow

·
Registered
134 Posts
Shipments seem to have been very limited; none to Canada as far as I know--at I haven't heard of anyone jumping up and down cheering. Some to the US, UK, Holland, Germany. And now it seems they've run out of 'quality fans', so another 4-6 weeks' delay. I wonder if I'll ever get one. I just don't understand why Apple hasn't sent us emails advising us of their progress.

When Verax comes out with their solution, I think I'll go for that.

·
peek-a-boo
16,605 Posts
I ordered the day I heard too. I've heard zip. Being new to the world of Apple this past year, I can't say I'm particularly impressed with the way Apple treats it's current customers. No email, nothing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Power supply just arrived 5 minutes ago! Goodbye whine!

Maybe I'll be able to hear the death star IBM drive now.....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Give yourself lots of room, a small bowl or two to put screws in and remember to take your time! Don't forget to follow all ESD (electrostatic discharge) procedures. You don't want to fry a logic board!!!

John

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the power supply's installed. I have to say that I'm not overly impressed. It's only slightly better, with the main fan not so frantic, but the power supply fans still have an annoying pitch to them. Fortunately they are slightly quieter, but not much.

I'm a little disappointed with the results.

Call me picky, but Apple could have done better.

·
Registered
134 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sloow:
Well, the power supply's installed. I have to say that I'm not overly impressed. It's only slightly better, with the main fan not so frantic, but the power supply fans still have an annoying pitch to them. Fortunately they are slightly quieter, but not much.

I'm a little disappointed with the results.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still, you're one of the lucky ones who at least received one!

Did they send you an email when it got shipped?

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sloow:
Well, the power supply's installed. I have to say that I'm not overly impressed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I guess your tower was one of the quiet ones to begin with.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think it was one of the quieter models, I did actually check out other models at BMAC. This dual 867 was a hoover with a cpu. It's now a mini vac.
There was never any communication from Apple. No emails, no confirmation, nothing. It just showed up. Sigh...

·
peek-a-boo
16,605 Posts
Got it today. It's literally 5% of the volume. I had to put the stereo on 5 to drown it out. Now, it's slightly louder than the beige. My Dual was a really loud one though.
What did I learn? Be really careful before buying anything from Apple.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Hers's the noise I get from my mid march bought G4 dual 1.25
The standard fan noise is fairly quiet compared to any other modern machine, the startup fan noise is often about as loud as a vacuum cleaner for a minute or less. The it quiets down to a reasonable level pretty quick. Ocassionally there is a whining sound that I cannot explain. I only hear it on a few occasions. Overall I guess I got lucky or they improved their hardware or both. I look at the heat sink and power supply and the heat sink looks pretty massive. Some of my friends PCs are much louder with cd drives that sound like hoovers too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got my power supply today. It is already installed and it's alot better then the old one. It's no louder then any PC I've ever used.

-Ian

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I'm waiting for the exchange power supply for my DP867, although I don't really find the tower too noisy because of the ambient noise level in my office.

I'm curious as to which models you folks are installing into. It would be interesting to see if certain models experience better noise reduction than others.

Please?

TIA

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I should add that I'm still using OS9, and it starts up quietly enough, (thank you merciful Steve,) then as it warms up, slowly increases in volume until it's only slightly quieter than the first version. From what I can tell, this doesn't happen in X.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just received the replacement power supply today and installed it with no problems. I bought my 1.25 G4 MDD back in December, and in my experience, the new power supply is much much quieter that the original. The whining pitch is gone. The CPU fan is a "Papst" and is also quiet. Finally!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts