Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get a core 2 iMac at a great price at a local store but it's a floor model. The iMac looks and works smoothly. I don't know how long it's been on the floor and I don't believe it "sleeps", so it may have run fully on for quite a while, a few months. Would anyone have any reservations about buying this iMac because it's been on constantly for so long? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
LCD screens have a lifetime in which they go dim gradually. If the computer was on all the time, it might be slightly dimmer now than a new one. The iMacs start off with a very bright screen though.

I'd be more concerned about physical damage. Has the screen been scratched or pushed on? Is the keyboard clean and working well?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's no damage of any kind, no scratches, nothing! The screen is very bright...I'd probably want to turn down the brightness a touch. There's the regular one year warrantee, though service is through Staples, I think. I can get it for $867. My main concern is, say if the screen has been on for 6 months...does this significantly cut down on the life of the computer. (No-one at the store could recall how long this one's been on display)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Floor models are better than new.

All electronics have an intial "burn in" period during which faulty components, if there are any, are most likely to fail. 24 hours is generally a good burn-in period. You should always run any electronic device you buy for 24 hours continuously when you first get it home. If anything is going to fail, it will likely fail during that time and a good retail store will exchange a failed unit for new, over-the-counter, if you bring it back the next day. Much preferred to sending it away for warranty service a month after you bought it.

A floor model has already been through it's burn in period - and then some. You get a discount and you still get a full-term warranty starting on the day you buy it. Everyone has a story about something breaking a week after the warranty expired. Buying a floor model helps you beat these odds - if a problem is going to occur, it's more likely to happen while the warranty is still in force.

I will often ask specifically to buy the floor model, even if there are new in-box units available. Salespeople are often happy to sell a floor model that is starting to show it's age and give a price discount. I'm happy to get a product that 1) I know is not DOA in the box 2) already has several dozen hours of burn-in testing performed for me for free and 3) is cheaper than a boxed one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.