Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im interested in getting my early 2008 imac modified to have 1 or 2 Esata ports
the OWC website sold this modification in the states; but yea ; not very economical to ship them my heavy imac :D

is there anyone who offered this service in the toronto area?
if not ill have to decide if i want to attempt it myself

but yes. it would be nice to be able to boot off external hard drive
and have multiple boot drives etc

fingers crossed

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Macdoc carries a lot of OWC product and are in Mississauga.
You might drop them a line and see.

·
Premium Member
15,509 Posts
i think ill probably have to order the imac servicing toolkit (https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMACGEN/) + do it myself with a dremel + a sata-esata extension cable

Why are you even going that route when there are many more cheaper, easier alternatives??

Well,, maybe not as fast but that is a 2008 iMac model, I guess it could use an external boost if it's actually supported.

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well why would i replace it with an SSD and then have to open it up later on again if a problem arises? by using an External Sata port i never have to worry about opening up the imac ever again; and can also unplug + replug any boot drive or multiple boot drives as i see fit?

i use alot of older software; this imac can boot diff os frm 10.4 Tiger thru to 10.11 el Cap; using a hard drive dock in combination with many other different bootable SSD's seems like WIN to me

·
Premium Member
15,509 Posts
well why would i replace it with an SSD and then have to open it up later on again if a problem arises? by using an External Sata port i never have to worry about opening up the imac ever again; and can also unplug + replug any boot drive or multiple boot drives as i see fit?

Good points!!

Maybe while you have the Dremel tool out and working, you could use it to make an access door to the internal HDD to make things easier to access, something that Jony Ive and his crew should have done in the first place instead of sealing the damn iMacs up like a Security Vault.

I'm just wondering if that iMac can actually compliment or use close to the potential speed of any connected eSATA Drive???

I do some checking before doing the work and spending any money on the project.

Just a thought.

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts