Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this isnt going the be the most popular thread, but I would be interested in knowing fellow canadian (or other!) scientists and mac lovers.

As for me, I am doing a PhD at McGill in molecular biology and immunology.

At last some real sunshine in Montreal today, but gotta spend in the lab!

Best regards to all.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm not really a scientist, but I did stay in a holiday inn express last night.....

:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys..!

I know macs are real big in DNA/Protein sequence analysis, alot of great software is written for MacOS X, although the prices for these is horrendous, as well as the licensing fee for each additional machine running it.

I guess the best place to meet scientists are those annual conventions and sleeping in those crappy hotels kilometres away.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well, no - not always...

I'm a molecular biologist/bioinformatician working at CSCHAH in Winnipeg. And yeah, I use a whack of OSX stuff on a regular basis :)

-SJ.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi SpanishJoe, nice to meet another scientist! So, what kind of OS X software do you run ?

·
Registered
246 Posts
My brother just got his Ph.D. in Neurophysiology and he says his lab pretty much uses all Macs.

I got him an iBook a while back so he got hooked too. Now he goes around switching his fellow scientists. It's quite funny listening to a bunch of scientists talking about Macs.

Cheers,

Sander.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Vox - To answer your question:

- Sequencher (in Classic)
- MacVector (OSX)
- VectorNTI (OSX)
- Staden package - (Gap4 in OSX)
- X11 access to GCG running on Sun UltraEnterprise 450
... and more - mostly compiled and running in the terminal, like Genetech's BLAST algorithm.

I have a webpage describing some of the services, etc., but it's a little out of date. We just recieved a big infusion of new capital, and the department is no longer "on death's door" and the news descibes...

http://www.hgpd-bioinformatics.ca

-SJ.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would love to have access to VectorNTI or MacVector, as well as Sequencher. I am used to an old version of macDNASIS from Hitachi on MacOS 8.

I'm always on the lookout for freeware since some research directors arent too keen on spending thousands for DNA analysis software.

So my main DNA analysis sofware remains Microsoft Word and some basic online tools. Oh well!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ooof. MacDNASIS kind of rots. There's lots of online tools you can use for daily kind of work, but they're all limited in some sort of way.

If there's something you need done, bioinformatics-wise, forward me the sequence(s) and I can do some analysis in my spare time. I have access to a GeneMachine (Paracel), as well as the Celera Discovery system. I'm always open to new collaborations between Health Canada and academia.

Drop me a line if you're interested in doing any work together...

[email protected]

-SJ.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hey Vox,

My brother did his Ph.D. at U. of Toronto. I believe he worked with Dr. Atwood, Margaret Atwood's brother.

Cheers,

Sander

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
There are lots of scientists and researchers using Macs. It's sometimes an uphill struggle though because we have the same IT department attitudes to deal with. When I moved to the Ontario Cancer Institute 10 years ago, there were 3 Macs. I think we have over 100 now (not all in my lab). PCs have increased as well, of course.

At conferences, the number of Powerbook vs Wintel laptops is usually 50:50. At a recent HHMI meeting, the ratio was 75:25. Maybe there's a correlation between funding levels and choice of computer - or perhaps the equation is reversed....

There are quite a few tools and Vector NTI is pretty good. I still use DNA Stryder occasionally (!).

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Nice to have you on the site guys! The broad range of Mac users we have on ehMac never ceases to amaze me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys,

I find high profile researchers use alot of powerbooks in their presentations, the titanium seems their first choice followed by pismos and white ibooks. Usually the researchers I can't stand use pc notebooks.

I admit you gotta be pretty creative using Microsoft Word as a DNA sequence editor...but what a pain in the a** !!

Unfortunately here, the IT dept is very mac friendly and agree that MacOS X would need way less troubleshooting, but the people in charge of buying are sold to Dell...!!

Its very nice to meet all you guys!!

Now back to my cells

·
Registered
993 Posts
I am an ecologist and have been using Macs since 1988. Several of my ecology and math colleagues at Trent and Guelph are also Mac users. The closest to specialized software I use are statistics packages. Now that my charting package (Deltagraph) makes an OS X version, my biggest challenge is to get an OS X stat application. I'm using very old versions of Systat and Statistica that run in classic. Although both have fairly new PC versions, neither has been updated for the Mac in at least 8 years.

With regard to presentations, I use the Pismo that I have owned for three years. It has never let me down! Many of the Mac scientists at conferences I attend use TiBooks but so far, I haven't found any compelling reasons to upgrade. When I do, I may go to a 12" AiBook, as the price is very good and it would be nice to carry a much lighter machine when I travel. However, I do like the 14" screen of my Pismo, and would have to wear my glasses to work with a 12" in 1024x768 mode.

I wonder how my Nfld colleague Dr. G. is doing with his large-screen Ai?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts