Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had 2 delivered to work on Friday.

My take after setting it up was - WOW. but not in an awesome sense.

a) I was wearing the 38mm, and boy is it ever small. And Apple needs to devise a better way of unlocking the device. The 10 digit keypad on that small screen was meant for small children's fingers. I actually think that any person with a even a slightly above avg hand/fingers will have a hard time.

b) The main nav button does NOT click on every turn, which is a bummer so you must make visa contact with the screen at all times.

c) I'm still trying to to understand what you might want to take a screen shot on the phone (which you can, and it transfers to the connected phone) as the resolution isn't the best.

d) Didn't feel awesome on the wrist, but I was also wearing the shipped strap on - which was mildly snug. I'm assuming the 2nd one shipped is the larger of the 2.

e) I left it idle and in the box friday night. I'll see if it's dead or not on Monday/tomorrow.
I will play with it some more on monday morning and see but, I'm actually pretty happy i never ordered one. I would have been BUMMED at that price - and this is the Apple Sport btw.

Oh, I will say this: packaging was TOP NOTCH. #kanyeShrug

H!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Apple Watch 38mm with black sport band arrived Friday at noon. Due to being out of town, I did not get to unpack it until last night (Saturday).

Packaging is very nice ... long charger cable included is very much appreciated.

The finish of the watch is beautiful ... the strap is very comfortable. It does seem that my wrist size seems to fit best between 2 different holes in the strap ... slightly tight vs. slightly loose. My plan is to eventually pick up the milanese band which I tried on in the store and was very impressed with.

I am still tinkering with settings and learning my way around ... first impressions.

1) The voice dictation is absolutely fantastic ... it has transcribed everything without a hitch so far ... I have not had a chance to try it in a noisy environment yet.

2) Did a workout this morning (rowing machine). I also use a heart rate strap to display the HR on the rowing machine. At rest, the watch matched the readings from the strap exactly. The calories burned provided by the Workout/Activity app were lower compared to what the rowing machine stated. However, the rowing machine does not know my height/weight/etc ... the watch results seem to be quite reasonable and accurate at first glance.

3) Have not tried communicating with others except via text ... so I can't comment on some of the features such as sketching and sending heartbeats.

4) Responsiveness seems to be fine ... third party apps seem to only take a couple seconds to load. It is handy to be able to add some of these apps to glances as well (ie. I have added Waterbalance, Overcast and Shazam).

5) Battery life - I have been using it since 8:45 this AM (now 2:30PM as I type this) and the battery indicator is at 79%).

No issues or complaints thus far :) ... still getting used to the haptic feedback ... there is still an indicator light you can turn on for notifications as well.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
just remember that the watch battery is only good for about 1000 complete charges..
after that $80 fee.
so don’t run it down completely.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
First one to chime in with a 42mm Watch, it seems! (Sport in space gray)

I'd say the larger case size makes the most sense if you're a man with average or large wrists (it works for some women, not all). It's easier to look at and touch. The 38mm case is better for women as a whole, although I can see the appeal if you prefer as discreet a watch as possible.

So far, I dig it. It's pretty responsive to my wrist -- almost too responsive, since it occasionally wakes up with slight movements. Some third-party apps are fine, others take too long to load. With that said, I'm glad to have those apps than not. The only major omission in my daily routine is Swarm for check-ins, but Dennis Crowley (the co-founder of Foursquare) told me that it's coming to the Watch "very soon."

It's hard to get a feel for battery life after barely a day of usage, since a lot of that is early setup. It's not looking like a battery hog in my early experiences, however.

The big thing I've noticed so far: the Activity app isn't very in-depth, but it's easy to use and good at motivating you to do a bit more, try a bit harder. I'm curious to see if I'm more fit (or at least, feel livelier) after a month or two of ownership.

Coincidentally, this is my 500th post here!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well I caved and ordered a 38mm space grey sport last night, my wrist is about 180mm but I prefer a smaller case as I don't want it to stand out as a "smart watch" but just look like a normal watch.

This is my current watch and the 38mm case is nearly the same size:

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
Some of you may find this of interest:

Jewellers gold-plate the Apple Watch for a lot less than $22K

Desire for the most expensive version of the Apple Watch has triggered a gold rush of sorts for enterprising jewellers.

In the roughly two months since Apple announced how much its smartwatches would cost, thousands of people have lamented (or made jokes about) how exorbitantly expensive the solid gold Watch Edition is.

The 18-karat yellow or rose gold Apple Watch, which starts at $13,000 in Canada,

* * *​

Fortunately for people who want a gold Apple Watch, but can't stomach paying the equivalent of roughly three years' worth of tuition at a Canadian university, there is now a cheaper way.

At least two companies have started promoting Apple Watch gold-plating services in recent weeks, one of them for as little as $399 U.S.

(CBC)

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm liking it more than I thought as a watch. Seeing as I moved away from a watch years ago. Don't pull my phone out as much which is nice as well.

I wish I could send even a quick email reply. Text replies are okay. I still find I pull out my phone out of habit, but I get more emails than anything else.

The blue sport band shows dirt. Not sure how a white one would go. Ordered a leather loop band and I like the magnet idea and tried on on at the Apple Store. Other wise it's good. Still not sure it's $519 +tax good but whatever.

Now that I got sport model (was itching for the stainless steel band one for $1300-1600) I don't really see the point of the more expensive ones that have the same internals. The sport model is good enough and I'm happy with that for the apple watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been using it for a week now and I really like it. I take my phone out of my pocket way less, especially if I'm at a computer / online.

Battery life is pretty solid, I've yet to go to bed with less than 40% charge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts