Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when it comes to the sheer quantity of messages or folders?

Outlook Express had a number of limitations when it came to the size of the mail folders.
For instance - when the mail folders started to exceed 1 GB, there was a good chance that the mail folders became corrupt.
One also had to compact the database in Outlook Express because emptying the trash didn't really get rid of the items in the trash.

Are there any known limitation in Apple mail from a size point of view, ie

The maximum number of messages one can have in a mailbox
The maximum number of folders or subfolders
The maximum number of subfolder levels
Maximum size in GB for any of the folders

Just in general anything that's going to "bite" me.

I currently have mail of the last four years sorted in folders and sub-folders, and I'm wondering if I'm going to run into some mail limitations that could cause me grief.

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
A couple or three years ago I did some troubleshooting on a G5 iMac. Mail had slowed to a crawl. Essentially we deleted all obsolete messages especially messages that contained attachments (both In and Sent boxes), did the rebuild bit and Mail became usable again.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Have not run into them tho an Onyx run and an optimization helps.

I have 14 gigs going back to 2002 - I'd say it slows badly with more than 3000 in any one mailbox so I do 2 month mailboxes.

MailVacuum seems like a good diea but it's buggy.

Rebuilding Mail regularly helps and Onyx has a mail cleanup.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found out in the meantime that there is a 2 GB limit per mailbox or mailfolder, but supposedly no other limit.

What does rebuilding mail actually do?

I'm not having any problems now at all, I was just getting a bit nervous because of the Outlook Express problems I had run into previously.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
The problem with Outlook is that all the info was stored in a single database file - so any corruption ...poof gone.

Mail stores messages individually so that's a huge step up right there.

I'm not 100% sure on the exact rebuild effect but I assume it basically rebuilds the directory for the mailbox...optimizing access.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
That would be the extent of the effort ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts