Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in my windowz days, there were a few Ftp programs that were totally free to students and what not (like WSftp).

Are there any for Mac??

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
There are a few FTP apps out there.
If you like the command line and the terminal you can always use the ftp command in it, works similar to ftp.exe (The DOS rip off of the UNIX version)
Looking on versiontracker.com I found:
VersionTracker.com - FTP]

Fetch - is a very popular FTP client that is used but is shareware
FTP Thingy - free and the reviews seem very positive for it.

Also it is possible to simply browse a FTP server by simply entering the ftp address when after selecting Connect to Server... from the Go menu in the Finder

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
433 Posts
fetch is free if you're a student. go to the website for more info.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The terminal

open it up and type:

ftp ftp.youhosthere.ca
ftp IPadresshere

use commands get and put.
For more info, type "man ftp" in the terminal to get the commands that can be used with it.

Its free and fun

·
Registered
871 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rade:
Back in my windowz days, there were a few Ftp programs that were totally free to students and what not .
Thanks!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I swear by Fetch. Have used it since the beta days, and it always made me happy.

Of course, now that I can ftp from Terminal, I use that frequently too. Sometimes it's just more convenient than firing up another app.

Nedless to say, Terminal is ALWAYS up.

Cheers,

G/<

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Trasmit is 100% handsdown thee best FTP program in the world, if not thee best Mac software program. (If you can get as excited about FTPing as I can)

Really awesome.

John

·
Registered
71 Posts
Being in web design, I used Fetch for years, but had problems with it when I went to OS X.

I gave Captain FTP 2.1 a try and loved it so much I paid for it! It was built from scratch to run exclusively on Mac OS X, and they have a slightly older version (v. 1.4) that is also free for students and the like...

Here is the website:
Captain FTP - official website

Download their free trial version and I think you'll love it as much as I did! It's very easy to use and has a very clean interface, very Mac-like and intuitive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts