Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a little of topic but I was wondering if any of the fellow mac fans out there were also audiophiles? If so drop me a line with what you got?

I doubt anyone out there has a Bryston 2B or a B-60?

Anywho

Thanks

Nick

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I have owned a 2B (a fantastic amp, by the way) and the B-60 looks great, especially the preamp section.

Why do you ask?

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
The B-60 is an astounding value; I would expect that you would have a very hard time finding an equivalent preamp section at even lunatic-fringe prices, so I don't see any need to buy a 2BST now unless you already have a very fine preamp available. I would pony up for the model with a remote, but if you're on a budget this is one area you can save a few bucks.

The B-60 uses the ST version of the 2B amplifier section, but the pre-outs should allow for any future power upgrades. The 2B power section is easily the best of all Bryston amps for sound quality, so I would expect you would have to do some serious associated upgrading before you would need to even consider auditioning another power section. I would place the 4B higher than the 3B for sound quality alone. Bass quality in Bryston amps, in my opinion, is amongst the best you can get at any price, while mids and highs are near state-of-the art in ST series; I haven't had the opportunity to hear a SST amp yet (just introducted this year).

If you need a phono section, get that option. The Bryston phono sections can't be equalled at the price.

Resale value is extremely high; a 2nd generation 4B that sold in Canada for $1475 in the late '70's goes for about that much in US dollars today, 25 years later. (2nd generation 2Bs sold for $Cdn 799 at that time).

I have even seen first generation Bryston amps (early 70's, very rare, with the heatsinks on the front panel) sold recently for prices that approach current used values. These original amps outclass many modern ones, but suffer from grain in high frequencies, so it seems the resale prices are based on Bryston's reputation alone.

Build quality on all Bryston gear is outstanding; few manufacturers can equal it. Most of the Bryston amps I've dealt with exceeded rated power by about 20%. Customer support is also better than nearly anyone.

I know of no other audio gear that gives more bang for the buck, and few products can compete at any price.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello

Quote by gordguide
...so I don't see any need to buy a 2BST now unless you already ...

There is no 2BST in existense. It is still the 2B LP, the design has not changed in about 20 years.

Right now I have:
Cambridge Audio D500 cd player
Cambridge Audio A500 intergrated amp
Paradigm Reference Studio 40's v.2
APC line conditioner. (cheap but better than nothing)
Audioquest Hyperlitz speaker cables
And DMN reason interconnect with Bullet plug connectors

I want to upgrade my CD player to a Rega Planet

I would also like to upgrade my amp to a Bryston.
The Cambrige gear is great for the price but in Hi-Fi terms it's lacking.
If I don't get the the B-60, I want to get a 2B with a Antique Sound Labs passive pre-amp. For the buck it is very hard to beat.

Anywho with that being said I would like to sell my Cambriodge gear and upgrade to a brytson with a Rega source.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Right you are about the 2B. Probably explains why I never heard one that didn't sound excellent.

I have met both Chris Russel and Jimmy Tanner and they are true believers and serious about music.

The Cambridge gear is great, but don't compare to the Bryston gear in part or build quality. I don't think you will have a problem selling them.

The passive pre shouldn't be a problem with CD source and short cable runs. Still, I would suggest a serious look at your budget; the preamp section of the B-60 is in the same league as standalone preamps from the best in the business (and cable interaction or cost is eliminated).

Bryston indicates the preamp section of the B-60 is identical to the BP-20 ($US 1500, and considered by some reviewers as a Krell-killer).

It might be interesting if you get the chance to compare your passive pre (and cable)/ 2B combo with a B-60. My guess is the B-60 will justify itself quite nicely.

If you haven't already, download the PDFs for Bryston newsletters 1 and 3 for some good room acoustic info.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. gordguide

I love my music, and am serious about it. I only bought that Cambridge gear as a starting point. I could not afford what I wanted right away, so I started with it.

What do you think the pair is worth? If I ask $800-1000 do you think that is about right? Brand new they retail for about $650 Canadian each, plus tax. The CD Player is about 18-20 months old and the Amp is 12-14 months. They both have a 3 year trasnerable warrenty.

Both Pieces made Stereophile's Reccommend compent list. :D

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
This thread brings back fond memories. I once owned the original 2B. It was coupled with various components along the way from a Dynaco pre-amp, an Advent receiver (pre out), a Philips turntable, an Ariston turntable, an Otari reel to reel, stacked Advent (original) speakers and Chartwell LS3/5a speakers.
I currently own a PS Audio Elite integrated amp (wanting to upgrade the amp section as well) a Rotel 850 CD player with a Mission outboard D/A converter and the same LS3/5A speakers with a twin driver subwoofer.
If you need to compromise a bit on the pre-amp section to pay for the Bryston amp. I have a PS Audio 4.5 pre-amp for sale for $350. It is better than the Cambridge and has a fabulous phono section. Macdoc and I used to have a lot of fun with audio gear back in the 70s and both worked in the wholesale audio trade. As a hobby business, I still import and distribute replacement phono styli and cartridges. I've purchased another Ariston RD11 turntable and am looking forward to listening to all the great vinyl I've been gathering up at cheap prices.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Bryston.....Sweeeeet :cool: Haven't heard that name for a long time.

I admit I gave it up years ago, stil have records, just nothing to play them on :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Well, I used to be in the business.

My policy was that if you bought a new product from us, within 2 years you could upgrade to anything we sold. We would credit the actual selling price you paid (ex taxes) and deduct it from the full retail price of the new gear. The difference in the full retail price vs what we would normally discount the new item covered our loss on the resale of the used gear. You had to be the original owner and have your recipt. *

If that wasn't an option then we would put the gear up on consignment in our store, and charge a $30 commission to the seller. You could price it as you saw fit. You may want to ask the dealer you bought from (or the one who will be selling your new gear to you) if that's an option.

If we had to buy it outright, there was no way we could avoid losing money while also giving a fair price; used gear had to pay for the lights and wages just like anything else we sold and that meant a double discount for the seller (what it was worth used, less our cost of doing business). Thus the two other policies above.

Good used gear, with boxes, packing and manuals, is worth about 60-70% of retail, if that helps. That doesn't apply to "consumer grade" gear (it's worth about half), but your stuff isn't consumer grade. If you didn't keep the boxes, resale value drops by $50 per unit; or sometimes more.

Some particulary sought after gear gets more; Bryston is one example where 80% is typical for recent models.

* We always told our customers to place the recipt in an envelope and tape it to the bottom of the unit (avoiding cooling holes, of course).

The best place to start with regard to used audio is probably here (check the marketplace):
Audio Asylum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts