Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering is anyone had any advice on a good monochrome laser printer for OS X. just a small personal desktop model will do and network capability is a plus

·
Registered
153 Posts
Laser Printer Recommendations

I will second the recommendation for a Brother Laser Printer.

They are affordable, dependable and Mac Friendly. I use different models at home and at the office (HL-2040, HL-2070N)

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
At work I have a Brother HL-2040 hooked up to my WinXP Dell. Great printer, I'm happy with its excellent quality output and fast printing. For the price (~$150 at Staples) it's hard to beat.

The only things I don't like about it are, it tends to curl paper (but just about every small laser printer will do this) and it's somewhat noisy when printing. These concerns are minor though, and they won't stop me from getting another one soon for home use with my G5. :)

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
I have been using a Brother HL-5040 Laser Printer for a number of years, and I have been quite happy with it. It could use some extra memory for rendering pages, but the Mac is quite happy to deal with it. They do not make that model anymore, but they have a successor, the HL-5041, which is pretty much the same unit.

If the price was right, I would add memory to a Laser Printer, to help in rendering and download speed.

If I was to buy a replacement for mine, I would consider a Brother printer with Automatic Duplexing, because that is a weakness with the Brother I have. That is a feature that I would use almost all the time...​

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was thinking the Samsung ML-3051ND? any one have any comments on this printer? i looked into lexmark but couldnt find any models that were reasonably priced.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I would suggest a Brother or HP printer over a Samsung. For one thing, the first two come with duplexing, Postscript and 32 megs of RAM on their midrange models. While postscript isn't as important as it used to be, it does give nicer output. I like Samsung monitors but the one printer I had from them was cheap to buy, but of low quality. Both HP and Brother do a good job supporting the Mac platform with their printer drivers. HP costs a bit more to buy, but is probably cheaper in the long run if you have the printer for a long time because the brother requires a replacement of the part under the toner cartridge after about 25,000 pages. Having said that, I recently bought a Brother 5250DN for my office because we can get them serviced locally in Peterborough. I'm very happy with it. It's street price is $300; about $150 cheaper than the HP P2015D unless you can find a rebate on the latter. At those prices I would buy the Brother. A friend has a Brother HL-2030 or 2040 and she has had it for 7 years without problems.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just recently bought a Samsung ML-1610 and, while the quality of the prints aren't the best, it was very inexpensive to buy. I think I paid something like $60 or $70 for it. I had a difficult time finding a driver for it though. Samsung used to make a Mac OSX driver for it but I think they are no longer supporting the Mac, at least not for this model.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Just beware of the starter toners that come with many of the cheaper priced printers. Your price may actually be higher after you factor in buying a new cartridge toner.
Also, if you're working in a home ienvironment, you might also look for one with a silent standby mode. I'm very picky in this regard and settled on an HP 1022 from Costco. Only about $190 w/a full toner, and absolutely silent when not used.
Lexmarks and Samsungs have a whirling fan going which is not noticible in the store, but very noticible at home.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I have to recommend the HP 1320. Full Duplexing (saves paper), and the cartridge has lasted me over a year.
The 1320 was fairly recently discontinued and replaced with the P2015d, which is an equally good printer. In fact, it's faster and has a network option (2015dn).

The only down side is that it's not exactly cheap (450$ for the d model, more for the dn).

·
Registered
361 Posts
I asked this same question last year and I went with the Brother HL-2040. Absolutely quiet when on stand-by, a breeze to set up, the print quality is good (and the ink doesn't smudge) and it was about $80 (with mail-in coupon) from Best Buy. The whole printer is less than a replacement toner cartridge (good for about 1500 pages) and the starter catridge is at least good for 750 pages.

I don't print all that often. I figure this thing will be good (on the starter cartridge) for the next two or three years.

I'm glad I got it (and very glad I asked for recommendations here, first :clap: ).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes i just noticed you already told me what replaced it... the P2015d looks good but a little bit out of my price range. i dont print all that often maybe a dozen pages a week but would like a printer that can link to my network (my mac and my girlfriends PC) hence wanting something that has network capabilities not 100% necessary though.

i was thinking $350 or less for a printer. i noticed most come with half full toner cartridges and that is a huge factor in cost. silent running is good too but really i sit next to a G5 wind tunnel all day. i dont think i'd notice a printer fan too much

as for brother printers.... i never trusted brother products too much

·
Registered
361 Posts
[snip]... i dont print all that often maybe a dozen pages a week but would like a printer that can link to my network (my mac and my girlfriends PC) hence wanting something that has network capabilities not 100% necessary though.
So... you want something basic (with network capabilities if possible)... .

i was thinking $350 or less for a printer. i noticed most come with half full toner cartridges and that is a huge factor in cost. silent running is good too but really i sit next to a G5 wind tunnel all day. i dont think i'd notice a printer fan too much.
So... you want something basic (with network capabilities if possible) *and* you're willing to pay the same price for a monochrome printer what you could get a colour laser printer for... .

as for brother printers.... i never trusted brother products too much
So... you want something basic (with network capabilities if possible) *and* you're willing to pay the same price for a monochrome printer that you could get a colour laser printer for *and* for $150 (or less if you look around for some deals), you don't want to get a Brother... even though there have been very good reviews of it from other ehMacers and it'll save you at least $200.

:confused:

O-kaaaaay. Now I'm lost. It sounds like you wanna spend a lot of money for a little output. Or am I missing something elemental here :lmao:

Are you looking for a professional-presentation-quality monochrome laser printer or... just something that's going to be really good at shooting out about a dozen pages a week. 'Cause the Brother'll do you just fine for at least a year and four months at that rate before facing the purchase of a new catridge (or simply buying a new laser printer at the same price as the cartridge... at least it you pay the $80 I did for it).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i'm looking for a good quality B&W laser. i have no use for colour so would rather put the extra money into better quality B&W than lesser quality colour/B&W

1 - 20 of 20 Posts