Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious to know if anyone would like to see a 20th anniversary edition mac? and if so what would it be like? I was just reading some cool ideas some people have and I was wondering what people on this awesome board have?? cheers Mark...I guess it doesn't just have to be a computer...could be a ipod or something we haven't even seen yet!

[ December 17, 2003, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: imactheknife ]

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Yeah. The flat panel displays are also way overdue for a redesign and have read that this could bee coming. A 20th Anniversary iMac or Cube would be fantastic. just price it more reasonably this time, Stevie!

I hope the i/eMacs get speed-bumped, too.

Oh, there's been a rumor of a big overhaul of Appleworks, too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
cube all the way, i just hope it's as amazing as the original.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
I like the idea of a cube, but make it a monitorless Cube iMac for less than a $1000.00 I would buy one right away.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Spare me the flames...but I still want to see an Apple branded PDA solution. Bring out a new Newton. PDA solutions for the Mac are annoying...and I have yet to find anything that will synch email with Entourage or Mail.

Hell, they could even bundle a new iPod/PDA and I would buy it.

I swear by my Blackberry for work...and I would swear by an Apple branded devise for home use.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Newton, Cube? What the hell? Why does everyone want Apple to try again with things they already failed at?
Steve Jobs has already said that an Apple PDA is NOT going to happen. As for a Cube, Apple is not going to release a G5 Cube priced lower than an FP iMac.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
We can only speculate what they might be thinking at Apple, but in my view they already have a PDA built right into the iPod (apart from being able to write notes). Consider the troubles that other PDA makers have had: four years of disappointing sales. _Four years_. That's an eternity in business. Apple has correctly surmised that the market has capped for these devices, and that people are far more willing to plunk down money on gizmos that let you store data in multiple gigs rather than a handful of megs. I expect that Apple might modify the iPod form slightly to make better use of the headphone jack so that it can accommodate a series of accessories, such as, say, a plug-in video screen to watch movies, maybe even a plug-in notepad. We'll see...

As for the much rumoured special-edition mac...I'm unconvinced. Those things tend to be vanity items that look pretty, sell to the converted, but don't generate enough new sales to turn a profit. Apple needs products to help it grow, rather than just sustain their market share. The trouble with putting a G5 cube (i.e., special edition) on the market is that it would simply chip into existing G5 PowerMac sales. Their biggest problem right now is to kick-start iMac sales, which by most accounts have been underwhelming relative to the previous model. They need to knock down the price tag while boosting performance. So here's what I think (and this is just idle speculation): in January, Apple will roll-out a new version of the iMac sporting a G4 at the low end and a G5 at the highend--both adopting a most more modest cost-efficient form, driving down the low-end sticker price to $999 USD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.