Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I've decided on buying a MacBook over a WinVista notebook, but I'm unsure as to when to buy. I'd want a mid-tier white MacBook and the recent drop in refurbished MacBooks is really making my trigger finger itchy.

So, my question is: is it worth waiting until Leopard is released to pick up a MacBook or should I just buy it now? I have no Mac/OS X experience, so I'll be facing a learning curve either way.

I've checked out macrumors, and they think that there might be a new macbook with multi-touch launched around the time Leopard is released which would be cool to have; but if I buy a refurb unit now, the price different (assuming the pricing is the same when released) is enough for me to buy a wii as well :)

I'm in no real rush to buy, I can hold out for 6 months if need be.

Suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
you may want to wait

Typically the cost of an update to the OS X operating system is not that significant (compared to Windows) but you are likely looking at $100+ to upgrade to the new operating system. I have not heard of Apple announcing a free update for folks who purchase now. So if you know you want to update to the new operating system, you may want to October when the machines will ship with the new OS.

The Mac Book has recently been upgraded so I think it is unlikely that you will be hit with the syndrome of buying a machine that is upgraded a couple of weeks later but you never know but you never know, Steve Jobs indicated on June 29th that there were some interesting hardware changes to come soon.

By the way, the WII is great!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,374 Posts
My philosophy is that when I need a new Mac, I buy a new Mac, though I will admit that MacWorld in January would delay things for me.

It really doesn't matter though, usually within a week of me buying a Mac, an upgrade comes out (in the past that has included the Apple Mouse). :)

If I needed a new Mac today, I would go and buy one and just fork out the cash for Leopard and the new iLife when I felt I needed them or their features. If I didn't need a new Mac today, I wouldn't buy one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,415 Posts
I'm in no real rush to buy, I can hold out for 6 months if need be.
If you *can* hold out for 6 months -- you should.

By October (3 months away) -- Leopard will be included

By January (6 months away) -- The MacBooks will be updated, and the new Small Form Factor MacBook Pro will be out (at least, according to all the rumours).

The MacBook update can also easily happen in Setember, October or November -- the Macbooks still don't have Santa Rosa, or LED screens.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top