Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just put it to sleep instead of shutting it down. Don't have to wait for it to boot when you need it...

John

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Ummm... Correct me if I am wrong (No, wait... don't correct me if I am wrong. I need my ignorance
) but if the issue involves the network time server built into the Date/Time System Preference Pane, then why not just turn it off?

Set the time manually once and pretty much forget about it.

Besides, unless your computer is always connected to the internet, you are probably not going to be using the Network time Servers all that often...

And as for PC zealots laughing at you and your Mac. If it isn't one thing, it's another. They'll just taunt you about something relating to Macs, such as market share or games or lack of somesuch perceived PC feature...

:cool:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't know about MacFixit... they're more into politics than helping people resolve problems with their Macs.

As for the 1969 bug, I got bit with it and the easiest solution is to get the CHUD tools from Apple's Developers' Website, and add the CPU module to the menu bar and select 1 CPU before you shutdown. It beats the heck out of copying files as root from one computer to another or from the 10.2 CD to the computer (which BTW only works if your in the Pacific time zone) as root.

This brings up a couple of questions. First is why Dec 31, 1969. Well, that's 0 in time speak. That means that what ever is needed to set the time is returning a zero.

Where does the error come from. Contrary to popular to the belief of those brain dead idiots on MacFixit, Darwin.org is responsible for a great chunk of the code that is in OS X. Did they cause a bug that's affecting OS X? Could be...

The fix. Someone has to find it and fix it and the fix may be a small download or it maybe a major download, meaning that the bug is isolated or there's a large chunk of code that's affected. I'm thinking that the bug may be a large fix, especially when a work around is to turn off a processor.

Let's let the developers and engineers fix the code. When a patch or point release is available, we'll know about it.

John

·
Registered
65 Posts
All the date/time fixes I have seen are web based. I will be taking am G4 on a ship were I will be Webest for a couple months. I hope I will not have to change the date/time every time I boot my Mac. My PC co-workers with laugh, as I am always telling them how great the Mac's are.
Derek :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
"Set the time manually once and pretty much forget about it." That's the problem. After I upgraded to OS 10.2.4 I had to reset the date and time every time I start up until I set up the network date & time. It not the battery I have only had my G4 dp 867 a month. I don't want to leave the mac on all the time when I am on the ship. The voltage is not as stable as power coming from the Ontario Hydro. I also had a problem with the G4 waking up. I have a Neovo F17 LCD and Sony SDM-X72 with a NVDA Geforce 4MX. I would have to restart because the monitors would not fire up after the G4 when to sleep. I believe that is also a probem with 10.2.4. Today I upgrade to a ATI 9000pro because the NVDA Geforce 4MX had a problem with heat when it was driving two monitors. So far the G4 hasn't gone into a coma after it as gone to sleep. Maybe it was the card.

·
Registered
237 Posts
What I do to make sure I'm not in Professor Peabody's "WayBack" machine, is to use the CPU module of CHUD tools (you have to download the entire thing (about 10MB) from: Debugging Tools. That'll add a new pane in system preferences called CPU. Click CPU in system preferences and add it to the menu bar (Click "Show CPU in menu bar"). When you're about to shut down, select 1 CPU from the menu bar and then shutdown. When the computer boots next time, you'll be in two CPU mode and the clock will be correct.

Keep the installer around so that you can remove CHUD tools around when 10.2.5 (or a specific patch) comes around.

BTW: This tool is to allow developer to test their software on various configurations (no cache, no backside cache, 1 CPU, 2 CPUs) without actually needing all the hardware.

John

·
Registered
65 Posts
I will wait for 10.2.5
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts