Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
'Cept that this also means that filters are being applied by Apple. No filter is 100% accurate. My mail.app filter is running at 99.2% (3 incorrect junk designations in the last 388 non-junk messages, one false positive, 2 false negatives with 112 correctly identified junk emails!!!). So, there's a potential price in the false positive loss of real mail. However, I agree is well worth it. In fact, the problem with Mail.app filtering is that it only filters the account via the Mail.app client (of course). So if you access the account via another client, the junk accummulated since the last login with Mail.app is there (and reminds you that the bombardment continues, you're just shielded by Mail.app). By contrast, .Mac filters mail prior to access. When I set up my phone email, I'll use .Mac as it will essentially eliminate expensive downloading of junk mail headers.

I wonder how long it'll take spammers to defeat Mails filter? Probably quite a while - another advantage of being <5% of the market.....

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

I've never really understood this problem that so many people have with SPAM. I use three different email accounts (2 university and 1 at softhome) and I don't get much SPAM at all. I would estimate that I get way under 1% SPAM. This was the same when I used a PC and it's the same now with the Mac. I guess I'm one of the rare minorities that doesn't get a lot of SPAM. Since I don't use hotmail, I'm sure that helps out quite a bit.

James

1 - 4 of 4 Posts