Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Connect North America here in Fredericton closed overnight. A lot of people are out of work. Thanks to the goverment of NB for bringing us so many ****ty jobs that don't stick around.

I for one am glad that my tax dollars are going to forgivable loans to these companies.

Are the call centres like that in the rest of Canada? Forgivable loans as long as they stay for X amount of years and once those X years are up they close? This has happened COUNTLESS times here in NB.

These jobs are being touted as "careers" and a lot of people are buying this.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Heh heh. Could be worse. Former Premier Bernard Lord tried to lure talented and skilled expatriates back to New Brunswick. My wife, an engineer, went to see what Lord's people had to say and they were basically told they could find plenty of jobs in call centres.

This, they told to a f'n engineer.

The N.B. Gov't needs to grow up and get a clue.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Call centres (actually "call-in centres", not the pesky call-out-try-to-sell-you-something you don't need centres) are expanding in NL.
They seem to be good corporate citizens.
There were a couple of shady ones set up in central NL with the usual government money contribution but the perps have been caught and charged.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
In many instances Call Centre attraction and retention is little more than corporate welfare.

The vibrant Canadian economy with many workers leaving home to hit the "boomtowns" and the lower unemployment levels across the country led to competing for employees even in the have not Merrytimes.

Higher wages have resulted. Call centres demands for employees have affected the rise in wages and the introduction of benefits for service workers.

In the Merrytimes benefits are usually sponsored with a small co-pay by the employer.

I fear the call centre industry as subsidy abate will soon depart the Atlantic Provinces. These service sector jobs will leave like many disappearing manufacturing jobs for the third world. This could have a major effect on Moncton.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
We've had some winners, and some losers. The winners -- two that employ nurses, another for florists and one for Sprint -- are all call-in and have good reps, though the Sprint one has a steady turnover. The losers have tended to be small call out centres -- here today, gone tomorrow, though there was one call-in centre for a pizza chain.

It's been mainly a mixed bag. I can't recall any of them getting subsidies to locate here though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts