Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm surfing Apple.com and come across a comparison of Jag and older OS's.They have a grid with something called "Animated Desktops"....What is this?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I suspect they are referring to the ever-changing desktop background feature in OS 10.2. It allows you to have a new background appear either every time you start up, or once an hour or even every 5 seconds.

If your video card is Quartz Extreme capable, there is a lovely fade to next image aspect to it.

It's like a desktop slideshow!

:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Wow! This is sooo cool! If you got some spare CPU cycles, its actually quite nice... actually makes your computer seem more interactive and even a little :eek: alive.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chealion:
Wow! This is sooo cool! If you got some spare CPU cycles, its actually quite nice... actually makes your computer seem more interactive and even a little :eek: alive.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I've been running the Forest screen saver as my desktop for quite a while now. It's really nice and I haven't noticed a slowdown of my machine much at all.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Excuse my negative (or nay-saying) attitude but what the heck is that point of an animated desktop?

Do people spend that much time staring at their desktop. I find it an odd concept because either I use my computer or I do something else.

I guess it's nostalgia for screen savers and - going further back - lava lamps.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I tried downloading that fish aquarium thingy...but could not get the bugger to launch. What is up with that???

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
As cool as the animated desktop is, it's really just "eye-candy". I want functionality: Let me designate a live video stream as my desktop background. The possibilities are endless:

- allows parents who work at home to keep an eye on the kids
- videoconferencing
- cool shot of earth from space, realtime (okay, eye candy, but 'way cool eye candy!)

'course, we'll need a quad-processor G8 to do it...

:D
M

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Well if I had a G8 processor maybe I'd change my tune. . . ;)

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
It's all eye candy and knowing you have the ability to do more then just pictures. Its more of a mental thing, knowing you have the power to move from the stationary to moving. Personally, I have xBack running all the time now, so when I see my desktop, it seems alive so that the computer gives an impression that its working and willing to serve (if you will, although that sounds really harsh).

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I use backlight. And what it does is allow you to run a Screensaver as a background.

Impressed the hell out of the PC-nerds at work.

Seems they couldn't get their machines to do that... Pity...

:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CubaMark:
... we'll need a quad-processor G8 to do it...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No one is supposed to know about that yet .....

shhhh!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts