1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Nasty! And funny... in a sad way of course.

I can't believe how theft is becoming such a mainstream thing. The design firm I work for just moved to the downtown core of Ottawa (Bank for those in the area) and we new the community was a little shady.

However we didn't realize just how bad it was until things started dissapearing -- like my bookbag that I keep all my reading (mostly Mac, design or multimedia related -- books that would amount to at least 200 bucks SRP in total) was missing. Apparently someone must have walked in over lunch and did a quick walkthrough of the production area and grabbed the first thing they saw. Luckily, they dumped it about a block and a half away and someone found it -- the only thing missing: My cologne and deodorant.
Go figure.

Anyway... needless to say we've started taking extra precautions.

A footnote to this story -- the people that found my bag aparantly were victims of a laptop thief -- posing as a QC person from their "office cleaning company". They lucked out and retrieved their laptop which was found in their garbage bin outside (coincedentally one of the guys was on his way out and saw a box with something grey sticking out; figured buddy left it there to grab later) -- but the thief had been caught a week later... with a car packed with approx. 22 laptops! All owned to a firm about a block away from them. :eek:

Ya, eh? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Tuesdays and thursdays I am off-island. For the whole day. All of my stuff is waiting there for the taking. Have at it.

But I should warn you....

My house has a guest suite in it. This guest suite is currently occupied by a friend of mine( and his family) who is a member of a rather notorious motorcycle club. He is six foot six and almost 275 lbs of pure muscle. He is heavily armed and not at all afraid to use weapons on unknown intruders. He has beaten three different murder raps so far...and he has no fear of anything that moves.

Trust me on this.

While I have no weapons of any kind in my house (outside of sharp pointy things) my neighbors most certainly do. And they are quite aware of who is allowed on this property and who is not.

We all look out for each other around here.

Want to take you're chances? Then go for it!

I'll visit you in the bone ward. Honest. (if you actually make it that far)

Some of my friends might drop by to pay their respects as well. While you are in the hospital recovering from your ill-advised incursion into my little world.(he he he)

You may find these visits rather "disquieting"...if you know what I mean. :eek:
:cool:

Good luck! :cool:

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Sounds bad out there. It made me glad I live where I do. Not only do I not lock my house...I don't even know where the key is, or if the locks actually work.

And I've got upwards of thirty grand worth of camera and computer gear laying around in here.

Maybe I should start locking my car as well. Naaawww...it's Salt Spring. No need.

:cool: :D

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Just keep advertising that you have $30K of equipment in your house and that your doors are unlocked. I am sure someone will unburdeon you of your camera equipment.

Keep tempting the fates, Edge-dweller :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was recently at the school board office that I work for and was told a similar story. Apparently a lady walked into the loading bay which was left unlocked for deliveries. Then she walked throughout the secure area taking what she pleased. Not being a bright one she returned a few days later and was caught. I don't think she took any computers from the office, but they are all PCs anyway so who would want them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts